If you had 1 implement to buy for your atv...

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by Adirondack Ed, May 26, 2014.

1. Adirondack Ed

Adirondack Ed Newb

Dislikes Received:
    If you had 1 implement to buy for your atv to help with your food plot, what would it be...

My finds are limited and want to get the most bang for my buck...

Thanks in advance!

2. trvsmarine

trvsmarine Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would ask what else you have for planting ??? Do you have a tractor to disk with ? If so then I would probably buy a nice sprayer for the atv. If you do not have a tractor then I would buy a disk system. Everything else can be done by hand but tilling requires power.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

3. Turro

Turro Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I got a sprayer for mine. Granted with a 1986 moto 4 I think the only implements I could use are sprayer and my tiny yard trailer to haul hand tools in, and my rusty box spring to drag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. nutritionist

nutritionist Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    A small disc.

It will incorporate your trash, weeds and previously grown crops into the soil.
    Your disc can be used as a planter. Broadcast your seed and then put down your disc just so it's "fluffing up the soil." And it will incorporate the seed into the ground.

Disc seeding is something that when i mention it to people they say "never heard of it or never thought of it." I'd still want to roll or drag the seed after doing this but i've done some disk planting and it can work great with the proper depth.

5. Adirondack Ed

Adirondack Ed Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I dont have a tractor...all I have is the atv...I had access to a mini-x this weekend but it is so slow to move from my house to the area for the food plot that it would have taken a hour to get it there...

6. trvsmarine

Dislikes Received:
    Well, spraying roundup can be done with hand sprayers. You can buy a hand spreader for your seeds and fertilizer. You can make a harrow drag by using an old box spring or a chain link fence with some chains and some weight. So the only logical thing to buy is a disk system so you can till the soil. What type of quad do you have and what size ?

7. Adirondack Ed

Adirondack Ed Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have a Polaris 570 Sportsman...We are not a big AG area so you have to make plots where you can....The one Im looking at is maybe 1/2 an acre...

8. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The answer will depend on how much area are you working. You can food plot with only a hand sprayer and a seeder. But, larger areas are going to desire different tools. If your funds are limited and you only have a small area you can get by only with those items. Gly is your friend. Also what do you want to plant?

9. trvsmarine

Dislikes Received:
    Half an acre is pretty big to do by hand. Trust me I wanted to do my plots this spring a half an acre each but one I got the quad out there and started spraying I was like holy crap thus will take forever to do... so i limited them back down. I have 4 plots that are a 1/4 acre, 30 yards by sixty yards. The other two plots are 1/8 acre. I have the groundhog max atv disk system and it tears up a 1/4 acre pretty easy. Still takes me an entire day to get all the plots disked but it works good.

10. Turro

Turro Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I used my garden tiller to break ground today in some kill plots I sprayed last week. Surprised how well it went and took only like two hours and the two totaled maybe 1/3 to 1/2 acre. I didn't go deep or anything too thorough, but should be good smoothed out and sprayed again before planting.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Bow String Depot

Bow String Depot Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The ATV :tu: cause I ain't got one!

Hutch

12. bluecollaroutdoors

bluecollaroutdoors Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I could get by with just our Springtooth drag harrow. If starting over what I know now I would probably get a flip over king cutter 48 inch disc and do all that I need to do.