If you found out today with 100% certainty there was no afterlife or......

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by virginiashadow, Jul 25, 2014.

1. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    This is such a pivotal concept to wrap a head around. I work with youth at our church and many of them struggle with this concept...it is so easy to say the right things and know the right things...but to do them truly is a completely other level and is truly what we are to strive for. The concept that this life can be faked or simply "repented" for at the end of it all is the most foolish approach to life in my opinion.

I always tell them when I hear the "I have the rest of my life to get it right"...

You only get one life. You only get one chance. If you believe the Bible to be true and believe God made you and everything around you than you must realize one thing. Death can come swift and out of no where. From a car striking you in the passenger seat of your parents vehicle on your way to dinner....to an aneurysm killing you in seconds right now while you listen to me speak. So with that knowledge you would realize that you do not have the rest of your life to get it "right"...we are not guaranteed tomorrow let alone the next second in our life. So making that statement tells me just one thing, you have doubts about whether this whole God thing is 100% fact...so let's talk.

2. chopayne

chopayne Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Im pretty sure I was able to translate your sentence correctly, but no, just because I quoted "truth doesn't change because someone wants to believe it or not" doesn't mean I was advocating for atheism. I was advocating for other religions too.

I don't think i've ever proselytized for atheism, I was using darwinism and evolution as an example. I could've used a thousand other religions/customs but I didn't.

3. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Who is doing that?

4. Iowa Veteran

Iowa Veteran Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Not commenting on one statement, commenting on all your statements.

5. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Asking someone to pretend so that they may answer the hypothetical question presented in the OP is not proselytizing for atheism.

6. sachiko

sachiko Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm curious too. Who is proselytizing for atheism? I'm not seeing a single instance.

7. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I haven't been reading this thread because I don't like to put my faith into hypothetical scenarios, but I will comment on the last few posts. This is not to fuel debate or say that anyone is proselytizing for atheism because I don't think anyone is. But I do believe that the perception is key when thinking hypothetically. Putting something that you DO believe in through a hypothetical scenario where it doesn't exist or is found to be untrue may be a bit tougher than putting something you DON'T believe in through a hypothetical scenario where you find it to exist or be true. If you already have passion and previous attachment to something, it's like having your favorite candy that you've absolutely loved all your life taken from you whereas the other side would be getting to eat a piece of candy that you've never had before and liking it. Does that make sense or show it differntly?

Brian Walters likes this.
  8. NEW61375

NEW61375 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I don't understand the dodging of the question either. I am a Christian but I like many struggle with my faith. I am able to admit that. I have read that often it's hard for folks to believe fully because our minds are naturally questioning and in this day and age you could add cynical and pessimistic. I tend to think that even if it was proven there is no creator I would still try to follow many of the lessons of Jesus Christ. I believe he walked this earth and I believe there is a lot to be taken from his words and story. That's about the best answer I can give, I would still live my life the way I am. I would continue trying to be a good father, husband, friend, and person in general. Be kind to people, be helpful, be humble.

You shouldn't need the promise of Heaven and an eternity with streets paved in gold to be a good person

Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
  9. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    No I definitely agree it would be easier for me to consider how I would react if all of a sudden God came down and revealed himself (or herself?).

But even if I believed in a god, I would like to think I could work out somewhat of an answer to my reaction. I wouldn't just say "it's impossible so I'm not going to answer", which is a complete copout IMO

10. chopayne

Dislikes Received:
    Good point, but at the same time the do believe and don't believe can be swapped either or for religion.

Right now you're saying "DO believe in through a hypothetical scenario where it doesn't exist or is found to be untrue may be a bit tougher" means Christians believing in God. Well "DON'T believe in through a hypothetical scenario where you find it to exist or be true" could mean Christians not believing in no God. Double negative, im pretty sure I lost everyone.

I see your point, but if someone posted up another thread, I really doubt you would see as many people quoting stuff about how evolution or darwinism is true so God can't be real so they won't entertain it and such. Also, some people just don't want a God.

11. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yep, I completely understand what you're saying. I was just trying to make the point and I think you got what I was saying too. Like I said, I wasn't answering the question, I was just putting more perspective to the question. Good deal.

12. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I am trying to decide if you got the point or missed it completely. No biggie either way. No apology necessary.:ninja:

13. chopayne

Dislikes Received:
    I probably missed your point = ) but you have my apologies= )

14. mjbassett

mjbassett Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I would still pray, as an opportunity to reflect on what I have, what I, my friends, and my family need, and be thankful for what I have. I would also still seek biblical advice on life's issues, it works well now and nobody to date can definitively prove whether God exists or not. It would be a dark day if you could prove the non-existence of God. It would truly be survival of the fittest. Hope your arrows are tuned.

15. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I gotta admit that I do find it kinda fascinating that most of you say that you would still pray. Would it just be a habit thing? Comfort?

16. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    I'll pray some day you understand why I pray :)

17. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    No I get why you pray NOW

but if God was proven to be 100% false, why would you still pray?

18. BOWHUNTANDLIVE

BOWHUNTANDLIVE Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This thread is crazy...it started crazy...it's gonna end crazy....VS let's talk about politics on your next hypothetical thread!!

19. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    I would still pray for big bucks, Packer super bowls and cool summer days. :)

20. chopayne

Dislikes Received:
    Start a thread about it. It's the water cooler man