Idk how some of you guys do it.

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by kjstaudt86, Jun 3, 2019.

1. kjstaudt86

kjstaudt86 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    So I'm entering my 3rd year into a protein regiment for the deer. This year has been very successful but at the same token, it is getting expensive. When do you draw the line and say enough is enough on spending a month for deer lol?!

I originally started with a 150lb feeder and would go up to my lease every few weeks to refill. Now my site is established, and I've graduated to a bigger feeder (300 lb) and it's lasting 10 days. It's a great problem to have but I figured going to a bigger feeder would last a lot longer. I'm just getting more and more deer come to the site and finally I'm getting consistent buck action so I'll at least take that!

Attached Files:

2. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Move to NY.... No cost associated with Feeders (sans the fines)

cml5895 likes this.
  3. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I feed year round. I feed straight protein pellets May through August and then start cutting it with corn. There is no way around it and it is a financial commitment. The only way to save money is pallet purchases if you have the room and the cash up front.

takemrarely likes this.
  4. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    As Shakespeare says, "Aye, there's the rub." I have too many expensive hobbies right now without adding a feeder.

Okiebob likes this.
  5. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I too feed year round, yes it is an expense. Still cheaper than taking care of the horses.

Bootlegger and kjstaudt86 like this.
  6. kjstaudt86

kjstaudt86 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I feed pretty much year round. I feed a 16% protein blend from February- August.

Then we switch to corn in certain feeders from August- January. The basic 50lb corn bags we throw in feeders aren't bad. But this protein regiment is about to start getting EXPENSIVE especially if they run out of food that fast.

7. w33kender

w33kender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I do not feed deer at all anymore. No plots, no bait, no minerals. Used to feed 45 to 60 bushels of corn a year.

8. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Read a farming book- horses are the most expensive animals on the farm. Subject to more ailments, aches, pains, etc. than any other plus boarding (if necessary), vet bills, farrier fees. My neighbor is a farrier and he charges a bunch...but he spends a bunch as he travels a lot. Specializes in expensive show horses.

9. Cannon06

Cannon06 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I associate my hunting related costs as my annual spending. I don't have other hobbies (golf, booze, travel, etc...) so its easy to justify my expenditures.