Ideas for scoring in shed contest.

Discussion in 'Shed Hunting' started by dukemichaels, Jan 11, 2012.

1. dukemichaels

dukemichaels Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    For all interested and already signed up for the 2012 shed contest.. this thread is for you.

In an attempt to bring greater competition and make teams more even I've been tossing around the idea of a point system for every shed over X inches..

Example.. maybe a shed over 60" is worth 2 points per team.. a shed over 70" worth 3.. etc etc.

Of course it would mean team captains would have to do more math but I think it could balance teams more and allow a guy who maybe only finds 3 or 4 sheds a year to contribute greatly to his team.

Of course.. any shed over that 60" mark would have to be entered into a score thread with measurements posted with it.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Good idea.. bad?

2. MadMan

MadMan Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I was thinking go the other way. The bigger the shed the easier to find right? So the smaller the shed the more points. Just a thought, probably already debated thou. I do like this thou I think it could balance teams more and allow a guy who maybe only finds 3 or 4 sheds a year to contribute greatly to his team.

3. MadMan

MadMan Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    double post pulled a homer Doh!

Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
  4. dawg007

dawg007 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I like the idea but would also like to toss in BONUS points maybe for match sets, spikes, maybe for biggest shed of year, smallest shed for year, and stuff like that.

Point Scale
    0-19=1
    20-29=2
    30-39=3
    40-49=4
    50-59=5
    60-69=6
    70-79=7
    80-89=8
    90-99=9
    100+=10

Then work in BONUS POINTS!

5. TJF

TJF Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Your point scale would be a nightmare and be a pain to keep track of. Now every shed found would have to be scored, pictured and probably would make this a lot less fun for everyone.

I don't mind duke's idea if it is bigger then 60 inches 1 point... 70 plus = 2 points and so on. If the guy that finds it but doesn't want to score it or put a picture up... still gets 1 point for their team.

I do like the idea of an extra point for a match set though. Instead of just 2 points for the two sheds... you would get 3 points for a match set. You would have to post a picture to prove it. Plus then bonus points if they are bigger then 60 inches.

You set would be a good example that you just found...

3 points for the match set
    1 bonus point for the 60" plus side
    2 bonus points for the 70" plus side

You just walked away with 6 points for two sheds. Easy to keep track of. Again if the guy that found them didn't want to go to the trouble of taking pictures or scoring them... he would still get 2 points for the two sheds.

The biggest/ smallest sheds bonus points... no. If you want bragging rights to those... just do a side contest like we have in the past for the fun of it. Again let's not make this really difficult to keep track of. This is just a fun contest... let's keep it fun.

You could get wild with the bonus points but in the end you haven't gain anything but a headache. Keep it simple... IMHO.

Tim

Ps... if someone finds a 4 pt shed... especially from Ohio... it should have to score 67" or over before any bonus points are allowed !! :evilgrin: :p

6. TJF

TJF Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I see were you are going with this but the only downside is... the guy finding a lot of sheds is going to be finding a lot of small sheds more so then big sheds. He will gain the most from this...not the guy finding a few sheds. It would actually hurt the latter in the end.

Duke's idea would be better as finding sheds over 60 is going to be tough even for the guy finding a lot of sheds. In the same reguards... Dawg's shed scale would benefit the guy finding a lot of sheds more so then the guy finding a few. I found 66 sheds last year. Only a couple made it over 60". I found a lot of smaller sheds. You guys would be rewarding the wrong guy and making it more unfair instead of evening the odds per team.

Tim

7. dawg007

dawg007 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think the smaller ones should be rewarded also due to some guys not having the caliber of deer in that area. Maybe make the point scale a lager one to get the smaller ones to count. You will lose people for interest if you dont let the little ones score due to some of them knowing they will not get any points due to never finding any sheds over 60". That is what I am afraid of. I would like for everyone on this forum to be able to put points on the board.

8. dawg007

dawg007 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think the smaller ones should be rewarded also due to some guys not having the caliber of deer in that area. Maybe make the point scale a lager one to get the smaller ones to count. You will lose people for interest if you dont let the little ones score due to some of them knowing they will not get any points due to never finding any sheds over 60". That is what I am afraid of. I would like for everyone on this forum to be able to put points on the board.

How about this scale?

0-60=1
    60-80=2
    80+=3

Then bonus points!

9. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I like the way you guys did it last year ...

10. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    You guys are making my head spin. Especially you Steve. :lmao:

11. UPbowhunter

UPbowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would just put up some assist points for my team cause Ive only found 3 60"s here in the east.

12. dawg007

dawg007 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Just trying to help Dan! Keep it up and I will get Cricks Digits on you! :tu:

13. shed

shed Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Lets just keep it simple stupid please. Its shed hunting, you find one, you get a point. end of story. I do think everyone should have to POST PICS OF EVERY SINGLE SHED FOUND.. even its in group photos. None of this I found 9 today and we never see a picture. I call BS on those posts. IF you find em, take a pic of them. If you find a lot, at least take some group photos of them.

14. firefighter bowhunter

firefighter bowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Im for that! It's all about KISS "keep it simple stupid" Why make it to complex that people wont want to deal with it.

15. shed

shed Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I was tired last night and did want to add.. if we do add a point system of any type.. I really agree with the way Tim laid it out.. keep it as simple as can be for ..the big boys and sets.. I'd be cool with that too.. but honestly I'd just like to keep it real simple..

16. dukemichaels

Dislikes Received:
    I sincerely doubt we've ever had a single problem with someone exaggerating shed find numbers.

If someone did.. that would be the lamest thing I ever heard.. and speak volumes of the character (or lack thereof) of that person.

17. dukemichaels

Dislikes Received:
    Don't worry too much UP.. I live in the midwest and have only found about 6 over 60".

I understand it's much harder in some areas of the east though.. which is why this post is here.

18. dawg007

dawg007 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I say lets get the party started! Dawg strikes AGAIN!!!!

19. DrawBackBowhunting

DrawBackBowhunting Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think a shed under 60 should be worth a point, and 60-69 worth 2, 70-79 worth 3, 80-89 worth 4, 90-99 worth 5, and anything over is 6, just an idea....pictures taken in the field also.....and the measurements should be video taped, jk!!!!