Idea.

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by MD hunter, Feb 19, 2011.

1. MD hunter

MD hunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What do you think about this food plot? 8 rows of beans, 8 rows of corn, and about 1/4 acre in clover or oats/rye/wheat.

2. soccerdan90

soccerdan90 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds dangerous to me!!!! Well dangerous for the deer! Never heard of anything like this but I don't see how it could hurt anything. In my opinion its a great idea.

3. Ben/PA

Ben/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I do a mix on most of the areas that I plant. I do about 40% Red Zone (bean mix with black oil sunflowers), 40% Oats, and 20% Turnips. Honestly, the oats are the key. I won't plant if I can't plant oats. They hit them from the 3rd week in Sept until Jan/Feb. Yeah, when the Red Zone is ripe, they absolutely DESTROY it, and in late winter the turnip is king, but the oats are consistent. I'm actually considering bumping up to like 50% with the oats.

I don't mix them together, I section of areas using survey flags so I can control where I am putting the seed.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2011
  4. soccerdan90

soccerdan90 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Nice!!! I've always wanted to try a food plot.

5. nealmccullough

nealmccullough BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like great forage. Make sure you have enough to last until opening day!

6. Whitetail Express

Whitetail Express Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I concur. Mixed variety food plot success depends completely on location and deer density. A food plot of 8 rows of corn, 8 rows of beans and clover will only sustain a couple of deer year around. If you locate the food plot in a location that the deer will not use until the hunting season begins, you will most likely have great success with that plot. Some such locations are adjacent to large agricultural fields that will be harvested during the hunting season or in a location that deer will move into in the fall after the other foods in the area becoming used up. Now if you don’t have a prime spot like this for your plot, I would recommend you plant the entire plot into one of the three plant varieties, I would personally choose beans. This will provide a large enough volume of food to bring and hold deer near your plot at some point during your season. Beans are the best in my opinion for this as they are eaten when they are foliage and in the pod form. Also look at forage beans rather than your standard soy beans for their regeneration rate and tonnage of forage per acre.