Idaho Bowhunters, a question about sight rules

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Jraz2428, Mar 25, 2021.

1. Jraz2428

Jraz2428 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    So I admit I am a complete noob just getting into the bowhunting game this year, so pardon my ignorance. I am also going to be moving to Idaho for a new job and grad school. I'm just looking into getting my first bow and gear, but the rules for what sights are legal in Idaho are confusing me a bit. Looking into the rules in the guidebook and the questions that Idaho fish and game has responded to on their website, I see that any kind of electronic or tritium glow sights are prohibited. As I have looked at sights at stores and online, everything is either powered fiber optics, tritium, or rheostat. I just can't seem to find one that seems like it would be allowed. Almost everything I see has a battery or light that can be turned on. Is there someone from Idaho that could give me examples of a legal compound bow sight they have used? Or do you just have to shoot natural/barebow if you want to do the bowhunt up there (I'm not opposed to learning to shoot that way if it's the only way, but would like to know if any sights that are allowed)?

2. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Many sights have the potential to add a light. However most offer a version without....May just have fiber.

As an example hha has a detachable (screw in light). Just leave the light at home when hunting,if you have the light.

3. jstephens61

jstephens61 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I run Spot Hogg sights on all my hunting bow, just unscrew the light and leave it at home when headed to Idaho.
    Also run a verifier and have heard that can be an issue in some states. Has more issues with coolers than bow equipment. Thankfully run Yetis!

4. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've lived in Idaho my whole life.
    Yes, Idaho doesn't allow any kind of powered/electronics on your bow at all. Can't even use lighted nocks. The folks that write the rules have ZERO understanding about archery, they think lighted nocks are for hunting at night apparently.
    Several of my last fiber optic sights have come with a screw on sight light. I simply unscrew them from the sight and stash them away in my archery tackle box. As long as it is removed you are legal. Just make sure there is zero powered electronics attached to your bow and you'll be legal.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2021
    Jraz2428 likes this.