I was born too late

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Vabowman, Apr 18, 2022.

1. The Old Man

The Old Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Should have found KOMA AM out of Oklahoma and WLS AM out of Chicago back then. I think they were only strong enough to reach ND after dark when they could boost their power. I spent many hours cruising main listening to those stations in the mid 60’s.

Sota, elkguide and TJF like this.
  2. dprsdhunter

dprsdhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I remember WLS

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

The Old Man likes this.
  3. Rowdyray

Rowdyray Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Born in 62. 70's music is great. Don't think there's a bad Jackson Brown song. I'm a weirdo and like the deeper tracks. Here's my guess.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sota, dprsdhunter and TJF like this.
  4. TJF

TJF Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    In the mid 60's after dark was past my bedtime. Was 8 years old ( 70 ), when dad let me drive the back roads following him as he drove the hay equipment around. He had a 1959 Chevy Apache pickup. No radio, no power steering and a manual. Steering sucked on it. You didn't drive it down the road as much as you herded it down the road with the steering wheel. Jeez did your arms get a workout. Wasn't until the mid 70's that cruising main got to be a fun thing. Dad bought a 76 Chevy pickup that had AM. Thought I went to heaven. Pretty sure I put more miles on it then he ever did.

The Old Man likes this.
  5. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'm a bit older than some of you, born in '56. The first record I bought was a 45.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

6. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Did you have the yellow plastic adaptor to put it on the turntable?

oldnotdead, GregH and dprsdhunter like this.
  7. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Yes I did. I had quite a collection of 45's back in the day. I wish I knew what happened to them.

We ( my parents ) also had a large diameter adapter that fit over the spindle of the turntable in order to accept 45's.

Sota and oldnotdead like this.
  8. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Such good memories born in 58 with a older brother and sister by 10 and 8 years. I grow up with a portable record player ,45's and All of us sing and dancing to some of the best songs written. Then going to concerts where the Doobie Brothers were the cover band and one at the state fair grounds that was an entire day and had I think 12 bands, one was Jefferson Starship. Many of the big names at the time.that was 75 or 76
    Then there was......disco......

TJF likes this.
  9. opossumhunterNC

opossumhunterNC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Dang, I had no idea they had AM radios that long ago :poke:

Sota likes this.
  10. opossumhunterNC

Dislikes Received:
    It could be worse… I was born in 88. My generation’s contribution to rock consist of Chumbawamba and limp biscuit.

11. opossumhunterNC

Dislikes Received:
    I saw Jackson brown and James Taylor at Greensboro coliseum back in November. James Taylor was nothing to write home about but Jackson brown was out of this world. Just saw the eagles a couple weeks ago too and they put on a hell of a concert. Best concert I’ve been to in a while was Sturgill Simpson though. Saw him in Raleigh last September and he went at it so hard that he literally blew out his vocal cords and had to cancel the rest of his tour.

Sota likes this.
  12. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Back when they had sun dials to tune them...

TJF likes this.
  13. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    A little pissed about Sturgill's vocal cords.

14. opossumhunterNC

Dislikes Received:
    I wish dire straights would get back together for a tour before they’re all too old. Same goes for Fleetwood Mac and Stevie nicks.

wl704 likes this.
  15. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    It seems like every generation feels like they were born a generation too late when it comes to nostalgia for the past. We all reflect on those things that happened just before our time and wish we could have been a part of it. I feel that way about missing bands like Motley Crue and Guns N Roses, at their peak in the late 80's and early 90's. I wasn't old enough to start going to concerts until the mid-late 90's.

And don't hate on Limp Bizkit! Back in the day, those were some of absolute best concerts I've ever been to. Staind/Kid Rock/Limp Bizkit at the Aragon Ballroom in Chicago was one of the best memories of my late teenage years.

Edit: Fleetwood Mac on The Dance tour in '98 (I think) was a great show as well. Pretty sure my friends and I were the youngest people in the place at the time. We had a blast. I've been fortune enough to see a lot of great classic rock bands in my day. Moody Blues, Jethro Tull, Kansas, Elton John, Billy Joel, etc.

opossumhunterNC likes this.
  16. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    If I had to pick one concert for my favorite it would've been Pink Floyd at Milwaukee County stadium in 1975. Dark side of the moon was/is a great album.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

TJF and JeffC like this.
  17. opossumhunterNC

Dislikes Received:
    Me too. When I heard that like 2 weeks after I saw him in concert the first thing I thought was “he definitely tore them at the concert I went to”. Looked it up and sure enough he had cancelled every concert starting the next day after the one I saw. He was actually just the opener for Willie Nelson but he went at it for a solid 3 hours. It was like 10:30 before Willie even went on and after 3 hours of Sturgill Willie was pretty underwhelming. In fact I think pretty much everyone in the building wanted Willie to finish up and send sturgill back out. Not knocking Willie Nelson, it’s just Sturgill was THAT good.

If he ever makes a comeback I would highly recommend going to see him. It’s one of those concerts that you’ll remember for the rest of your life. The only other concert like that for me was back in my senior year of high school when I got to see The Rolling Stones front row, center stage at Wallace wade stadium (Duke’s football stadium). I am a bit more of a rolling stones fan than a sturgill fan, but if I had to pick one concert to go to again I’d probably pick Sturgill over the stones. I honestly don’t think anybody can do a live performance better than what he did. If he ever goes back on tour you absolutely have to go.

18. opossumhunterNC

Dislikes Received:
    You lucky bastard, that makes me jealous, Pink Floyd would be unreal in concert.

Roger waters is actually going to be playing near me in august, but I can’t imagine that his concert would be even remotely close to watching the whole band together. That’s one where I have accepted the fact that I’ll never get a chance to see them. I was like 5 years old the last time they even made a song, much less went on tour. David Bowie and Michael Jackson are two more that I’ll never get to see (unless they faked their death).

My generation really got screwed on the music thing. I mean seriously, we got Taylor swift and Justin Bieber, y’all got Pink Floyd, The Doors, queen/Bowie, and like all the other great bands. Really the closest thing to a great rock group from my generation is maybe linkin park (edit: maybe add in Dave Matthews, they’re kind of rock..ish) and they aren’t even very good, and certainly not “great”. You could take try and pick the worst bands you could think of from the pre-90’s and they’re still better than the best the 90’s and later has had to offer. I mean take blondie or genesis, while they’re not bad, they are certainly not the best the pre-90’s had to offer and try and come up with one rock band or even popular band in general from the post 90’s who anybody would consider better.

And if anybody says John Meyer you will be reported to admin so that they can banish you to archery talk.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2022
  19. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I've never seen him personally, but everyone I know who has seen Mayer with Dead & Company said it's a great time. Love him or hate him, the guy can play.

Little-known fact, Mayer was college roommates and good friends with Clay Cook, who plays in the Zac Brown Band. Now those boys know how to put on a show. I've seen them 1/2 dozen times and their show at Wrigley Field a few summers ago was amazing. Until the lady next to my wife threw up on her shoes. :lol:

Edit: and don't hate on T Swift either. That chick is amazingly talented.

20. opossumhunterNC

Dislikes Received:
    Fify