I thought it was poor hunter etiquette?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by StringPuller#1, Nov 26, 2014.

1. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Very true act like a gentlemen and act like you have shot a buck before, even if you haven't

2. No.6Hunter

No.6Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I once saw a trailer full of deer here in MI, and I mean like 20+ deer full, It was tarped...they were pulled over further down the road with every deer unloaded from the trailer. I chose to leave my rack above the bed of my truck so you can see my tag ;)

Has anyone honestly seen a vehicle with blood and guts all over it driving down the road?

3. Lester

Lester Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I put mine in the back of the truck and put the cover down. I am not worrying about offending anyone but don't want anyone in the area I hunt to see anything.

4. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You have definitely not gone soft. It always good to be consceincous of others. When I was younger I did not think about it because everyone I knew hunted. Now not so much. I have a small rack on the back of my Jeep and will wrap it it I have something handy. If not I put the back towards the side others would see. Most of the time though it never makes it to a public road unless its in a cooler.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2014
  5. cocowheats

cocowheats Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I don't give a crap if it offends someone

6. cubs204

cubs204 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Is this really a thread?:sad:

7. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Right, like I said, that scenario you mentioned is not exactly what was described by the OP. Not sure how a harvested deer could possibly not look "all gutted and bloody" as the OP said. Someone just sent an arrow or bullet through the animal and then field dressed it. Of course there's a broad spectrum of how a harvested animal can be displayed but the visible vs not visible is what I was referring to. Just because a deer is visible or on a trailer behind the truck doesn't mean someone is parading it around or that it's displayed distastefully. If someone wants to have it visible, all the power to them. There may be other reasons, they may have other gear in the back of the truck, they may not even have a truck, maybe they want it to stay cool, or maybe they do want to show it off. But with that said, I totally agree there is a tasteful way to display a deer and we should all do our part to ensure we treat the animal with respect and do that.

Tim, what are you talking about? Not one single mention of Obama except from you. Political correctness on the other hand is a term and doesn't necessarily mean politics (blame liberals, blah blah). If you are referring to my comment about political correctness, then yes, I stand by what I said. Everyone seems to want to force acceptance but only for the things that most people don't accept. It's kind of funny how ironic and hypocritical political correctness is...that's all I meant by political correctness.

8. Bootlegger

Bootlegger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    To be honest, never been told or heard of someone wrapping the deer with a tarp. Not saying it's wrong by any means, just never heard of it. I guess it's has to do where your living like stated in previous threads. I just load it up in the bed of the truck and close the tailgate and go on my way....lol. Now where I live it's very rural area so if someone did see it, they could careless if there was blood running outta the tailgate...lol. I only haul mine up the hill to house or to the processor every now & then. Just never thought about it. Hunting here in Tennessee is a big part of life. Even if a city like Nashville I've deer in the back of trucks, trailers and such. Never seen one covered.

9. scarps23

scarps23 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not into trying to showcase more blood or less. I wouldn't clean anything up to try to please others, but I wouldn't purposely try to offend them either.

Our deer usually aren't on any road outside maybe a gravel road so it isn't a big deal. It also is more accepted and normal to see deer in the back of a truck around my small town.

10. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    stuff like this amazes me. heaven forbid mommy has to get off her cellphone and pay attention to her kid and explain (who is eating a happy meal), why there is a deer on someones truck. If only these same people could see the morbid brutal life of beef cattle and the world of slaughterhouses.
    But let's sweep that under the rug and close our eyes to it, we don't want to offend anyone.

11. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't really make it so it draws attention but I also don't try to hide it. A deer gets taken back to shed, gutted and then hangs until it goes into the back of the truck to get processed. If somewhere in there blood gets on truck or someone sees it and gets panties in a bunch oh well.

12. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Kids need to be exposed as to learn where their food comes from and the natural order of nature.

So, as long as it's legal, I'll haul my kill as "I" see fit.

13. MichiHunter

MichiHunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Growing up in Michigan, I was accustomed to seeing deer on top of cars my entire life.

In reality, I had no idea this was even a "thing"

I never thought for a second that hunters that had their deer on top of their cars were "showing off" or trying to show blood and guts. I just assumed they were headed home.

I can't believe we're even talking about this. Not that I'm upset about it. I seriously never thought about it being an issue.

14. BukFvr21

BukFvr21 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yep I think adults interfere with kids and their learning process. Kids ask a lot of questions because they are curious and because that's how we learn. But people are too soft these days and are easily offended about what us hunters do. I by no means smear deer blood all of my car and drive around honking the horn to get people to notice but I will clean the deer up and take nice kill pictures. And I will show them to my friends and family and not care who I offend the entire time.

15. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Agreed. Being humble is almost a forgotten trait now days. Out here if you drive through town with a big buck for everyone to see, you'll probably be followed to your hunting area the next time you go. Best not to flaunt it.

16. StringPuller#1

StringPuller#1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Wow lots of good feedback on this.
    I'm a city boy who goes to play in the woods so I encounter probably more non hunters than you rural dwellers raised in a hunt culture.
    I personally felt happy for every hunter I passed and gave a thumbs up, even with the gutted side exposed.
    I haven't shot a racked up deer yet but best believe on my ride home the head will be out, I would tarp the body though. To each his own........happy huntin

17. TheChurchArchers

TheChurchArchers Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    We always just put the rack showing never the body. We would even rap up the head in a black garage bag so just the horns show. You kill something big in louisiana you want to show it off haha

18. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I can't believe I read this whole thread...

19. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I can't believe you read this whole thread and felt the need to tell us. lol

20. bones435

bones435 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Try driving a deer around in Cali. Bunch of mush heads here. I don't parade my harvest but I also don't go out of my way to hide what I'm doing. Back of truck uncovered. The people that piss and moan are the ones with the problem. Changing our actions to appease a population of uneducated people with a warped senses of reality is the just what leads to more of the same. This politically correct attitude has somewhat of a snowball effect and its rolling out of control in California.