Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

I screwed the porch. Illegal deer.

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Txjourneyman, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Txjourneyman

Txjourneyman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    What is there to fight? I broke a game law. The warden was doing his job. I don't blame him a bit. I screwed up. I am the one that can't field judge a deer. I have no problem what so ever with the GW is this situation.
    As a side note it looks like I'll be able to continue teaching hunter ed classes. I will be placed of probation for a while though.

2. Txjourneyman

Dislikes Received:
    Oh, and by the way Screwing the porch is what I get for posting from my phone lol!

3. brucelanthier

brucelanthier Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I understand the part about the GW but I don't understand the probation concerning hunter ed. You didn't have a failure in ethics as evidenced by you exemplory ethical actions. I would think the hunter ed folks would be honored to have someone of your ethical standards teach their classes. If you do the proper and ethical thing you get put on probation yet, if you were to lie and do the unethical thing no one would know and there would be no probabtion. Do the idiots that put you on "probation" even realize that?

4. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    My guess is not, Tx you can teach my kids anytime. I would be honored to have my kids taught the ethics of hunting by you.

5. Aaron

Aaron Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well, I understand him doing his "job" no issue there. You broke the law, he gave you a ticket. Awesome.

But I don't know about you, but I don't have $525 to my name right now, much less laying around to pay for the inability to measure the 1/2" difference on a deer before I shoot it. I wouldn't be mad at the Warden, but the law itself, that's what's to fight. There should be some sort of "Common sense" coming into play somewhere.

I'm glad you can take it like a man.... But I'm mad For you. :)

6. Txjourneyman

Dislikes Received:
    texas hunters ed has a thing about game law violations. You cannot become an instructor with a game law violation on your record. And you can be booted from the program for breaking the law. I understand this. They couldn't just overlook this. would that be fair to other instructors? I am VERY grateful to have the opportunity to keep teaching. Its a decision I can certainly live with.

As far as the fine goes my wife, the lovely and talanted Carie, has made it very clear to me that I better start looking for some side work! This comes out of my budget NOT the family budget. However her boss, my freebie attorney, is working on getting the fine reduced.

7. Aaron

Aaron Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I hope he does man, I really do.

I really wish the Judge would look at the whole situation, laugh, and use the "ticket" as toilet paper. :D

8. brucelanthier

Dislikes Received:
    ..........+1............

9. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I totally admire Tx for his honesty and manning up. The loss of the deer is understandable.. the fine is pretty steep tho'. I also think the 13" limit is kind of lame but so is four on a side and minimum scores are tough for a lot of folks to field judge.

However, to play devil's advocate to some of the posters here...... the common sense thing would be not to fight over 1/2" but rather only shoot a deer you are 100% sure is over that 13" limit.

10. buttonbuckmaster

buttonbuckmaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I honestly don't think I would hunt somewhere that had such restritctions. How the hell are you supposed to get an accurate spread guess on a deer that walks by broadside? Sorry to hear about your situation.

11. jackflap

jackflap Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I am sorry for your misfortunes.

For those that have asked what is the criteria one is supposed to be using to determine whether the deer is legal or not in regard to the inside spread, here is what is presented in the regulations

•To determine if a buck has an inside spread measurement of at least 13 inches, look at the distance from ear-tip to ear-tip on a buck with ears in the alert position (see illustration).
    [​IMG]

12. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have and will gain, in KY it's 15'' spread(not inside).

Yes it can suck, but you have to really look at and know your target.

13. Gr8atta2d

Gr8atta2d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Quite honestly I respect everything you did in owning up to your resposibilities.

But in my opinion, a sabbatical should be taken from teaching. Once the kids find out about your violation (and they will) the program looses some credibility. A man with your heart and determination to do right, by the law, and the kids, knows this.

Sorry Tx it's not personal, and I'll take flack for it, but it's one mans opinion.

14. brucelanthier

Dislikes Received:
    I could not hunt where they have an inside spread limitation. I have no idea how to measure the inside spread.

15. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Just make sure the spread is outside the ears and you are good.

16. Txjourneyman

Dislikes Received:
    I understand entirely and considered that. My hunter ed area chief and I discussed this while I was driving home yesterday. he thinks it would be better for me to talk to the students about making the mistake, to emphasize the importance of being certain.
    jackflap I never had a look at that deer other than broadside. And because of that I never should have released that arrow.

17. brucelanthier

Dislikes Received:
    I suppose we look at the same situation differently. I look at it as, when the kids see that his personal ethics demanded that he turn himself in and not just hide the deer under a bush and leave, they see the best example of doing the right thing, ethics in action. They also see that there may be less than pleasant consequences for having a high level of integrity and ethics but that is the how it is. If maintianing a high level of integrity and ethics were always easy and rewarded then everyone would have them.

18. brucelanthier

Dislikes Received:
    The spread of what, the tines or the antler tips?

19. Gr8atta2d

Gr8atta2d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    And I agree if he can share the story it's good thing. I was wrongly under the impression that they would make him be tight lipped about it.

Kudos, Tx You're a good man!

20. Aaron

Aaron Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I understand not to argue 1/2", but Heck I would be scared to shoot a 14" or even 15" deer If it meant breaking the law. The law its self is ridiculous, that's what I'm getting at. Point restrictions make a lot more sense than spread.

Someone with common sense wouldn't make a law like that in the first place, but none the less, here we are with an honest man being screwed over .5"

But then you can play devils advocate again and say 1/2" or 5" it doesn't matter. And we know that. It's still ridiculous and we know that too.;)