I need big woods help.

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Txjourneyman, Nov 3, 2008.

1. Txjourneyman

Txjourneyman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys, I am so new at hunting big woods. 1800 acres of hardwoods that are dropping acorns like crazy right now. I'm used to hunting pasture edges and small woodlots. i can't pattern them on thier favorite food when the woods are full of acorns. They can get up walk 10 feet and get full on acorns. I didn't see a deer all weekend despite 2 all day sits. If I do any scouting it would have to be very low impact, ue to the impending rut and other members of the club being in the woods hunting. I didn't get much of a chance to scout pre-season since I just got on this place. I know I'll have a better opportunity to learn the land next yearbut what should I do this year? Any suggestions?

2. madhunter

madhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Water??

3. 130Woodman

130Woodman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Is there any transitions in the timber or terrain. They will mill around in the oaks but they still have a perferred travel and bedding area.

4. Dubbya

Dubbya Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Bedding areas. Are there any areas that are substantially thicker than others? I would get close to these areas and try to find the bigger oak trees... perhaps the red and white oaks as opposed to the live oak trees. The bigger the better!!!

5. Txjourneyman

Txjourneyman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    There are several creeks that run through the property. I have a stand alongside one of them overlooking a crossing. I have seen tracks at the crossing on several occasions. it is the one stand I feel the most hopeful of.

6. isaiah

isaiah Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    1.toppo.com, see if you can find pinch points 2.just like mad said WATER WATER WATER 3.look for thick cover... a place where you cant get to/thru and look for trails (bend down and look from ur knees, will look like a tunnel a kid dug in the snow) 4.ask around where guys have killed deer in prior yrs 5.post a pic of the land on this site and let us "see" might be easier
    GOOD LUCK