I lost what feels like a friend today...

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by oldnotdead, Jun 14, 2019.

1. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    A stand I built 24 yrs ago., I took my first bow buck from and several bow and gun 8 pts and numerous doe. One of my all time best stands. I had so many fun hunts from that stand over the years. Fantastic sights and experiences. The sad thing is it wasn't the stand that failed ,but the tree. I was checking the stand when I noticed a brace had broke loose, then the tree really whipping in the wind. Obviously mature trees , Basswood, so that much movement wasn't normal. Lots of green leaf,no trunk damage noticable. I then spotted a crack in the bark at the base of the tree. I pulled back on it and a million ants tumble out. They have hollowed the tree from the inside out.
    This high lights an important safety issue for any hunter climbing trees. A full green crown on a tree can be very deceiving and does not indicate a safe tree. So I'll wait to a non windy day and dismantle the stand and remove the ladder.
    Now this had me searching alternatives. There was not a single healthy " junk" tree nearby to set another stand. Then it occurred to me, I don't need another junk tree. I'm going to be saddle hunting this year. All I need to do is pick a tree to put the ladder against and secure it. This ladder was also my seat for that stand, now it can be my platform. I can preset a ring of made steps. The area is just a perfect travel zone and fairly easy to enter without spooking deer.
    It's funny how one can become attached to an inadament object, attach the fond memories we achieved surrounding that object and yes, be a bit sad at it's loss.

2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry for your loss, it takes 100 years to replace a 100 year old tree.

cantexian, outdoorjoe and oldnotdead like this.
  3. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The best "friends/things" in life don't cost any money.

I'm sure that you'll always have great memories oy "your" tree.
    Now get out there and make some new memories!

cantexian and virginiashadow like this.
  4. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Why I have every intention to do just that. There was a couple of reasons I wrote this. First and foremost a reminder of how important it is to know the trees your climbing. For that matter even walking around and setting up ground blinds. Second, in the hurry to make our next great memory we should never let the ones we've been blessed to have experienced, fade.

cantexian, elkguide and Sota like this.
  5. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    in the hurry to make our next great memory we should never let the ones we've been blessed to have experienced, fade.[/QUOTE]

Wisdom.

6. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    In the last year I have lost 3 massive what I call sentinel oak trees. makes me sad.

7. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I had a lucky boonie hat I hunted with for years. I'd save it for days that I was feeling lucky. Killed a lot of good deer with it. Left it in the back of my truck with some other stuff and some sob stole it. Me and that hat had a bond. Haha. So I hear you...that sucks

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

oldnotdead likes this.