I know it's early

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Iamyourhuckleberry, Jan 8, 2010.

1. KodiakArcher

KodiakArcher Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Come to think of it, I don't intend to have any lungs left in my elk so it's a moot point.

2. Kanga

Kanga Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Why not you bringin a cannon??????????

Come to think of it what bow ya gonna bring the Bagan or the training bow or both?

3. UKBowhunter

UKBowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Another UK bowhunter :O

Cheers for the heads up Radioboy,

I have spoken to Gary tonight and we are looking forward to your phonecall. Just need to finalise a few details but looking very hopefull for joining you guys on this trip :p

4. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Great.

I'll spend from now 'til Sept. 15th getting to 185#'s.....and that'll go to hell on night 1.

Looking at a pair of Meindl Perfekt 7" boots pretty hard. Let me know what you think of these (PM is fine) for this trip. Whatever I decide on, I'm gonna go ahead and get them, now.

5. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Everyone Is different when It comes to boots and the mountains. What someone else likes another probably can not stand. Go with what feels good to you, It's your feet and not there's. Make damn sure there not even a little big on you or you'll have blisters the size of the mountains on your feet, It sucks big time!

6. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Steve:

I wouldn't necessarily buy SOLELY (no pun intended) on someone else's recommendation. But I'd likely discount a brand if no one gave a favorable review.

If I can find a retailer for these, I'll try before I buy. Ditto any brand.

7. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Don't make fun of me if I show up in running/walking type shoes. I haven't been able to find 'real' boots that fit me well.

8. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Chris:

If I can't find Meindl's to match my bow sling, I'll be right there with ya.

9. MNpurple

MNpurple Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Although I'm not sure of your elevation, as a flat lander who has done this a few times before (10,500ft)....I cannot tstress enough to you guys (and girl), the importance of acclimating to your elevation. Although being in shape definitely helps, sometimes those in the best shape get hit with altitude sickness more, because they push themselves harder. If you can't be there a few days ahead of time, look to your doctor. Last year I got a prescription for Diamox which helps in the acclimation process and after comparing years without diamox to one year with, the results were great, I acclimated faster than I ever had before. I had 3 side effects with it, increased urination, periodic tingling in hands and feet, and carbonated drinks tasted awful!, but it was well worth it. I'd hate to ever see anyones trip cut short by altitude sickness. One other word of caution, chances are you'll get hooked on this elk hunting thing and you'll have ANOTHER hobby to eat up your money!

10. Kanga

Kanga Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Chris.

I am in the same boat;)

11. shed

shed Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    any of you guys looking for boots for your elk hunt take a look at Schnees boots out of Bozeman Montana. I was just at their store and bought a pair of "Extremes" ...wore them last weekend, nicest boot I have ever put on. My bud Brett who is a die hard elk hunter swears by em, he puts on tons of miles packing his Lamas deep into the wilderness year in and out for his elk archery hunts. Just thought I would throw it out there.. These are very high quality boots and any seasoned elk hunter will tell you ... you must take great care of your feet to "want" to go day after day...

http://www.schnees.com/category/hunting-boots/a

Your hunt sounds like a blast guys, beautiful country! You all are gonna have a blast.. best of luck.

12. KodiakArcher

Dislikes Received:
    Ahh I thought you toughass backwoods Aussies just wrapped hide around your feet anyway!

Not sure which bow I'm bringing yet Russ. Not even sure if I'm chasing elk or concentrating on deer. I'm leaning toward deer with the training wheels. I've done elk plenty so I'd maybe do them with the Bogan but if I do go after mulies, I'm there to kill, not play. ;)

13. Iamyourhuckleberry

Iamyourhuckleberry Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Rob,

my fish supply has dwindled. I think I have two packs of halibut left. The buff has taken up much of the empty space in the freezer, and I'll add half a yak on Feb 6th (plan on taking more meat home when you leave, eh?). I will, however, purchase a forth freezer for fish-ya,know, if you're offering. I do not mind helping with funds for such a catch. Let me know...

Hide? Aussies don't need stinking hide!

Make sure you apply for your deer tag. These tags are not, I repeat, are not OTC! The deadline for application is April 6th.This applies to everyone interested in hunting deer.

Yes, altitude sickness is no fun. I live here and have experienced it. It can make a spirited man spiritless. You never know when it's going to hit.

Pommies? I thought they were Tommies. I had to google "pommies". So the question before you Russell is, are they like pomegranates burned in the Australian sun, or sailors with little red pom-pons? Since you made reference to being "in the same boat", I will guess the latter. then again...hmmm, not that I think of it, Radioboy did turn awful red when he was exposed to the mountain's sunshine. Now I'm confused...

Anyway, I'm happy to see some other pommies joining Dave. I look forward to stories around the camp fire.

Rob, we had better get to work on our homebrew...and BS. LOL.

14. KodiakArcher

Dislikes Received:
    I can send you a couple brew recipes and as far as the BS goes, I've got that covered... Rex.

Hey, speaking of homebrew; for the guys coming from Britain a nice 15 y/o Glenmorangie from the home country would meet with an extra special share of salmon... hint, hint. ;)

Last edited: Jan 14, 2010
  15. Iamyourhuckleberry

Dislikes Received:
    Rotflmao!

Do we want to do that to our guests?

16. Kanga

Kanga Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Will.

That sorta describes Banjo Boy to a T :D

17. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I figured I'd drain some blood from whoever there is O positive and infuse it into myself to prevent altitude sickness. Looking at this crowd.. maybe I'll go with the diamox. :D

What elevation will the camp be at?

18. Iamyourhuckleberry

Dislikes Received:
    like 9500' Christine

Duh Russ, I should have seen that coming!

19. Kanga

Kanga Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Will.

Can you write up a list of things to bring other than hunting gear so we can start to gather up stuff?

20. excelpoint

excelpoint Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thats a great idea as I have no idea what type of gear I will need.