I know it's early

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Iamyourhuckleberry, Jan 8, 2010.

1. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What ever needs to be done, I'm all for It Matt. Meeting everyone will be nice but my main focus on this trip Is to bust my ass trying to get myself an elk, deer, bear or what ever and or assist others In doing the same. Like I said earlier In this thread- If I don't loose at least 10 to 15 pounds I didn't hunt hard enough. ;)

2. excelpoint

excelpoint Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What ever it takes I reckon. Yesterday me and a mate spent 4.5 hours in 35 degree C(95F) pushing through box forn (nasty stuff), stinging nettle and cactus just to see the butt end of 3 little nanny goats doing the bolt around the side of the hill. Had a blast though.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2010
  3. Bails-UK

Bails-UK Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Spent today spotting Deer , seen some great Stags . Post pictures later , will have to sort them, from the 187 pictures i've taken upto now . I've even fed Deer from my hand and mouth :)

4. UKBowhunter

UKBowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would be up for a 'spike camp' should that be needed to get amongst 'em.

Dave, did you mean feeding the deer with your hand whilst trying to plant a big slobbery kiss on em :eek: ;)

5. Schultzy

Dislikes Received:
    Anyone apply yet for a deer tag? Question for those who have already- As I type this I'm applying for a deer tag. It's asking me what my 2nd 3rd and 4th choices are. Do I put the same code In all of them?

6. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I was gonna do it, Sunday, Steve. Let me/us know how you do (it), for sure.

Thanks.

7. Schultzy

Dislikes Received:
    Lol!! Dammit!! :eek: I'm the ginnie pig I guess!! :D

8. Schultzy

Dislikes Received:
    Got It figured out (thanks Will)!! I applied for a deer license. Now time to wait so I can apply for a bear license.

9. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Just gettin ready/psyched, boys.......

Get your cards (memory) lined up!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1PaynSL-2k

I've listened to the lyrics of this song several times, since I knew I made the decision to go. They're a lot more special than they used to be.

10. excelpoint

Dislikes Received:
    You had to put that up didnt you. Now the wait just got harder :D Some real pretty country.

11. bz_711

bz_711 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for that Jeff...that's a family favorite here...I was born and raised on John Denver - as well as came to love Colorado on family trips, of course playing John Denver the whole time...those two go hand-in-hand.

You can bet I'll have the ipod loaded down with John Denver for my drive out in Sept...man he's spot on about the beauty of CO!
    ...thought I'd share one more: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0RzMGKIm3o&feature=related

Last edited: Feb 19, 2010
  12. OHbowhntr

OHbowhntr Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I think with safety in mind, especially if we have a couple guys with BEAR TAGS, packing the meat out/hunting over a gut pile may provide "more opportunities" while at the same time providing help to one another. I'd personally have no problem packing my animal out myself, as I'd rather not incringe on someone else's hunting time, yet at the same time, I'm more than willing to help someone else out. I've drug quite a few deer out of the woods that I didn't shoot because it was the "helpful/friendly" thing to do.

Matt,
    I'm gonna be in "good physical shape," my only limitation will be my lungs, and the lungs will likely be a limitation to ALL of us flat-landers for the first couple days. I'm game for and over the mountain trip, and I have a good little MSR Sweet Water filter to prevent needing to pack water, as well as the gear needed to sneak up and over a mountain for a couple days if that is a plan. Likewise, I'd also like to maybe put in a few extra days, maybe hit CO on the 15th or so, and hunt until the season closes. I think those few extra days to acclimate as much as anything else puts one ahead a good bit, to get a full week or so of hunting in.

As far as maps, I encourage any of you guys to get on the horn and call the CO DOW BLM Maps department and get maps of the area, specifically to know where private properties are "nestled" in the PUBLIC land. I know sometime this week, I'll be ordering mine. Also ACME MAPPER is a great site for building maps in my experience, and the aerial, terrain, and topo views are really nice to give you somewhat of an idea of what the terrain may be like. I believe this is real close to the area we should be in.... http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=39.46628,-106.34542&z=15&t=M

13. excelpoint

Dislikes Received:
    I will have all my hike gear with me so if the opportunity is there I will be ready for an overnighter or two. Can you get Jetboil cannisters local cos I dont think the airlines will let me pack them.

14. UKBowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Im thinking of bringing my Kelly Kettle, should I camp out for one or two nights, although airline luggage allowance will finally dictate what I bring :(

15. OHbowhntr

OHbowhntr Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Something you CAN do that works well is just using a can, and a Charcoal Briquet as a stove. I use the Matchlight Charcoal Briquets for my firestarters, and they're awesome. You'd have to clean the outside of your pot pretty good afterward, but it works nicely, and charcoal is CHEAP, lightweight, and fool-proof!!! At that point all you need is a can, and make some ventilation holes in it to allow it to breathe, and a little more patience than something like a Jet-Boil allows for.....:D

16. excelpoint

Dislikes Received:
    I normally have my Jetboil in my day pack when ever I'm hunting.Its great to be able to stop and have a hot coffee or tea or cook up some noodles etc. With the Jetboil I can boil 500ml of water in about 120 seconds.

Those kelly Kettles look interesting. What's the fuel source for them? What are they like weight wise?

17. Bails-UK

Bails-UK Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Packing my Jetboil could be an option too if they sell the Propane/butane mix cannisters , surely you can buy them somewhere .

18. UKBowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The one pint weighs around 1.lbs or 1.6lbs with the optional cook-set. This allows you to heat up dehydrated food (or noodles) whist making your cuppa.

Fuel wise you use anything from paper, dry grass, twigs, leaves, pine cones, dry dung....whatever is close by and flammable.....

No more buying and carting around gas cartridges ;)

Last edited: Feb 21, 2010
  19. UKBowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Are you back home Dave?? How did the trip go? Any good pics to post?

20. bz_711

bz_711 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Will,
    Based on the new regs - looks like muzzleloader season runs through the 19th. Is it mandatory for bowhunters to wear hunter orange during this overlap of seasons? If not...do you recommend it...didn't know if you run across many muzzleloader hunters or not?

As far as my hunting hard ? - thanks for all the replies. Although I plan for a couple long/hard days if needed - I don't foresee any chance of me staying overnight away from camp (not planned anyway:)). I'm too curious how everyone else did each day...and betting there's plenty for me to learn around the fire each night...sure hope we get some decent weather! (and I too am all for helping others with any pack outs)

Last edited: Feb 21, 2010