I know it's early

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Iamyourhuckleberry, Jan 8, 2010.

1. KodiakArcher

KodiakArcher Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Electronics deal: okay, here's the deal. I've got an electronics wholesaler account setup so if any of you want electronics for this trip let me know and I'll get them for you at cost. There isn't much mark up in electronics so don't expect any huge savings (example Garmin 60CX: $255) but if you're looking at something pricey like a Garmin Rhino let me know and I'll see what I can do. I'm going to order a few (3) FRS radios to have for hunts here and there. I'll wait a couple weeks to see what everyone wants and try to compile stuff as much as possible. PM me.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2010
  2. Kanga

Kanga Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Rob.

You can get the 60CX off the big auction site for less.

I got mine mine for $170 with the 1 gig card shipped.:eek:

As for radios I have 2 Midland GXT's there sposed to have a 30 mile range but that on flat land.

3. KodiakArcher

Dislikes Received:
    Like I said, it's not always a great deal but thought I'd throw it out there.

4. Bails-UK

Bails-UK Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm counting myself out of the Mulie tag , its either Elk for me . I'm sticking with my original plan and that is , Elk as my first American Big Game and i don't mind if it's a cow .

5. KodiakArcher

Dislikes Received:
    I'm undecided as to the elk tag or not. I don't think I'll be able to afford both elk and deer, I've done the elk thing before but not mulies... The only thing I know for sure is that whichever tag I get will be the wrong one for the monster that steps out in front of me. It's just my luck! :p Probably just deer for me though.

6. Cougar Mag

Cougar Mag Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Funny you mention that. My only elk hunt(2005) I never came close to an elk, but could have shot at a bear at around 25 yards and while sitting on a log taking a short rest a large, mature mulie buck trotted slowly by at 35 yards. Didn't have a bear tag or mulie tag.............it figures.

7. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Anybody a member of....or thinking about joining the Rocky Mtn. Elk Foundation?

8. bz_711

bz_711 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I just joined RMEF this year - mostly to receive their Bugle magazine as I try to take in all I can before Sept. Now that I've read a couple issues - it is very interesting to read of the efforts by RMEF (and generous donations of land by everyday hunters) to maintain free spaces for generations to come...just because people love this Elk hunting so much...I imagine I will remain a member after this hunt:)

I also got a subscription to Eastman's Bowhunting Journal - and I will say I look more forward to that coming than any mag I have ever gotten...sure makes you want to head West any chance you get. It seems Elk are the major topic of most issues - have learned a lot already from this publication. Most story's are a DIY, Pulic Land hunt...

...Can't wait to be an Elk hunter myself...

Last edited: Feb 17, 2010
  9. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've been an off and on member there for the last 12 years. Not a bad club I don't think.

10. rybo

rybo Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've been a member about 2-3 years now....actually my membership is probably up soon. I need to renew.

11. shed

shed Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've got a problem with some rocky mountain elk eating my yard shrubs down the the roots right now.. Had to run 10 of them basically off the porch last night! Rybo, you cant get here soon enough.. They havent left the homestead all winter.. please help! :)

12. Bails-UK

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not a member of the RMEF yet , but may join as i think this will be my main hunt for years to come ( every other year or maybe every year depending on funds ) , their is something about Elk that makes me want to come back to hunt them . So any information , stories or help i can get will help .

13. excelpoint

excelpoint Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Im with you mate. I'm working hard to get my magazine up and running with the hope it will earn enough to subsidise a trip like this every year.

14. Iamyourhuckleberry

Iamyourhuckleberry Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Isn't it funny? When you have elk in your backyard 24/7/365 you hardly think about organizations like RMEF, and this group has made a huge difference! Don't get me wrong, elk are one of the coolest things on the planet I have ever had the pleasure to hunt. Actually, I stop everything and make sure I'm home to hunt elk. It's just that I take them for granted...

I will honestly do my best to make this hunt enjoyable for everyone... I am appreciative of the fact that ya'll are trying hard to gain knowledge! It will pay in the end.

Can someone direct me to the AOFF (Australian Outback Ferals Foundation)?

15. excelpoint

excelpoint Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Cant say I have heard of that one.

16. Bails-UK

Dislikes Received:
    Well i'm off to Glen Coe in Scotland tonight , so i'll catch up with you all when i get back . I'm hoping to get a close up picture of a Red Deer Stag to put on my wall , but we'll see , the weather has been terrible and food for the Deer is scarce on the Glens , so they may have moved from the area .... fingers crossed .

17. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    All I know is.....those guys hunt some COOL critters. It's gotta be a great test of nerves to be drawing down on some sort of donkey....with horns and quills......and also remain aware of the rattle-headed-copper-moccasins in the bush.

If I get to see more pictures of the above......sign me up for their org., Wilbur!

18. Iamyourhuckleberry

Iamyourhuckleberry Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I know Jeff, I think the Aussies have nads bigger than pineapples! It's hard enough to hunt without watching for things that will suck you, stomp you, strike you, or prick you! Sheeze...they have large flightless birds capable of plucking your eyes out while you're standing there! And they do this when it's a million degrees out!
    [​IMG]

My hat is off to these robust hunters.

19. bz_711

bz_711 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Kind of curious how hard everyone plans on pushing themselves on this trip? Obviously with this big group I'm looking forward to camp as much as I am the Elk...but just curious who's thinking about a couple Long days "up and over the mountain" if Elk are hard to find nearby?

Weather permitting, I would like to really get away from the roads one or two days if it appears that might be needed to get on an Elk...but of course it will take at least someone else with the same ambition - in case either hunter would bag an animal...I'm assuming 2 guys would still mean 2 round trips to get all the meat out...your thoughts?

20. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If I understand Wilbur, correctly....."packing out" (meat) will become a family affair. That sounds fair for everyone.

I'll have to think about the "2 days out" thing. In reality, I'd probably be up for it. But, I'm gonna let my guide guide me.