I know it's early

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Iamyourhuckleberry, Jan 8, 2010.

1. KodiakArcher

KodiakArcher Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Having done a LOT of hunting, backpacking and guiding in the mountains the one thing I can say is DON'T TAKE ANYONE ELSE'S RECOMMENDATION ON FOOTWEAR!!! Nobody else has your feet. You'll have to get out there, try a bunch on and find the one that is comfortable to you. Don't mail order them! Nothing will totally ruin a hunt faster than boots that don't fit properly. Check the fit in the heel to be sure they don't lift out on you. Make sure the toe box isn't cramped. Make sure the front ties in and fits securely so that your toes aren't getting crushed up in the front end walking downhill. For this hunt I'd get something with moderate to light insulation but you may need more or less depending on how much your feet sweat. Spend the money on some high quality socks like SmartWools while your at it. You'll thank me later. There really isn't anything more important on a hunt like this than taking care of your feet; you're on them all day, everyday and what you can accomplish is solely based on your feet being able to move.

Start buying boots now so that you've got a good pair that you know fits well by the time the hunt comes around.

2. Bails-UK

Bails-UK Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I bought myself a pair of Meindl Burma Pro MFS GTX for my Elk hunting in Colorado and believe me , they are well worth it . They are comfy straight from the box and handle below zero temperature with ease .

Christine , it would be great to meet you in person . This trip may turn into a Bowhunting.com meet up .

3. Aaron

Aaron Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That would be a life time dream for me... and I hope to one day. I would have to do about three rounds of P90X to get in shape for a trip like that :p

4. KodiakArcher

Dislikes Received:
    iamyourhuckleberry
    Cougar Mag
    GMMAT
    virginiashadow
    bz_711
    txmarshmonkey
    kanga
    Bails-UK
    KodiakArcher
    Christine?

Am I forgetting anyone? Sounds like it will indeed be a meeting of bowhunting.com notables.

5. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Good info about the shoes guys. I am going to listen to the veterans on those types of issues. I have never hunted in that environment or even camped out to hunt. I am all ears on all aspects of this hunt. One thing I won't change however will be that I will sleep nude with no covers.

6. KodiakArcher

Dislikes Received:
    Then the list just became the official sleeping arrangement too! You're between GMMAT and bz_711!!!

7. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Hahahaha! I also have problems with sleep walking.

8. Bails-UK

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with the mentioned sleeping arrangement , i'm in a corner well away from the threesome lol . As for the sleepwalking , you can entertain the bears outside .... just pull the tent flaps too as you wander outside :) .

9. txmarshmonkey

txmarshmonkey Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

I think I remember reading that Greg (txjourneyman) is also coming.

10. txmarshmonkey

Dislikes Received:
    I agree! Buy boots now and wear them now! I'd buy waterproof boots if you can. Then, if you like them, i'd soakem with scotchgaurd. I bought waterproof boots but they weren't. My feet got wet walking in the snow, this is where good socks can help. Buy SmartWool if you can. As for my boots, I'm still going to use them because they're comfortable but I will buy a new pair of different brand for back ups.

While its on my mind...buy a GPS and get familiar with it. Leave your compass at home.

Sounds like I'll be installing a pad-lock on my sleeping bag each night. :eek:

Pack your gear Christine!

Last edited: Jan 12, 2010
  11. bz_711

bz_711 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Guess I'm sleeping with one eye open now:)...that's some funny stuff...

Rob/Dave, thanks for boot info - I definitely plan to get to a Cabelas soon and try on many different styles - seems the Meindl and Danner are very popular for their quality...I'll start there.

After boots, a GPS is the last "big ticket" item I will need for this trip...any suggestions there also appreciated (brands, features, specs, etc?)

...I can almost smell the campfire...

12. KodiakArcher

Dislikes Received:
    You might find what you're after at Cabela's but I'd go to more of a hiking/backpacking specialty store to get someone with more knowledge about what may suit your needs (load variables, distances, terrain types, insulation, fit etc.) If you're not sure what you need then you really need some staff that do. REI, EMS or any crunchy granola, backcountry store; we've got lots of them out west but you probably have fewer back there. Where would someone that's going to hike the AT go to get gear where you are?

As far as a GPS, don't rely solely on that. I really can't agree less with marshmonkey's suggestion to leave your compass at home. Everyone should have a compass, topomap and the ability to use both: batteries and electronics fail and it's always when you need them most.

13. txmarshmonkey

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, I guess i should've put a smiley after that comment.
    I should explain....when we were there in September and about 75% of the time, our compasses were about 180 degrees off.
    However, I WILL have my compass with me, just like every hunt I'm on.

14. Bails-UK

Dislikes Received:
    I've tried a few boots as i do a lot of hillwalking and mountain walking and the Meindl are by far the most comfy for ME , but everybodies feet are different .

As for GPS , you cannot go wrong with a Garmin GPS . I have the eTrex vista c , which has all the features needed , but i will take a compass and Topo too ( even though it will read wrong , to much iron in the ground makes the needle do loops lol ).

I also do a mean campfire , ask Will lol

15. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You're on your own, Brett. When I sleepwalk, I'm usually totin' a knife.

Good luck!

16. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    When I have a good feeling that I will be sleeping walk at night I am generally dressed like this...

[​IMG]

17. KodiakArcher

Dislikes Received:
    I may be doing a lot of bivouacing out... WAY, way out!

18. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    I really look forward to meeting you guys and learning many things about the outdoors. Many of you have such great expertise and experiences that far exceed my own. I cannot wait.

19. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Soooo..... should I bring my own tent.. a Virginiashadow sleep-walking proof one?

So what does a flatlander like myself need to do to get ready for a hunt in the mountains?

How far do you guys roam around in a day?

20. KodiakArcher

Dislikes Received:
    Start climbing stairs, lots and lots of stairs, with a pack on. I plan to do a lot of sculling (sliding seat) this summer, especially if the fishing sucks as bad as last year. If the fishing's good I'm going to do a lot of 16 oz. curls and sitting on my skinny butt in the captain's chair. Then I'm going to be sucking a lot of wind come Sept...

I'll roam as little as possible but as much as I have to to get on the critters. Getting sucked into stalking a herd for 3-5 miles isn't unheard of.