Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

I know it's "bowhunting" .com but, I have to tell you,

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by in da woods, Oct 16, 2008.

1. in da woods

in da woods Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I know we strictly talk bowhunting, but this is too funny to pass up. I was out this morning on our gun anterless hunt. got there at 5:15, set my self up in a blind. perfect, cold enough to see your breath, & enough moonlight to see with. Heard one guy come in at 6:00, but still dark & he went in the opposite way. At 7:00 a truck comes down the road, does a 3 pt turn around and parks, doors open & slam! slam! I hear them jack in their shells, & then, then I see them coming my way. I'm only about 75 yds from the road facing away into a field. Sure enough, this guys picks the loudest part of the woods to walk in & comes my way & then finally sees me, after i get out of my blind, & he's only 20 yds away. He acknowledges me & starts to walk away, to 50 yds & then sits down. so i think , okay, I'll just have to be faster on the draw. Then he starts piping up on the ol grunt tube. He starts blowing so hard it sounds like he's calling in ducks. but he's not done yet, then he pulls out the "can" for good measure, & plays that tune for about 15-30 minutes. All I can do is laugh. I forgot to mention that his grandson also comes in on my left at about 15 yds & then turns away after he sees me. what a morning. then here comes another guys about 100 yds come at me from the field & sits down. finally i pack it up @ 9:30 figuring the only thing i'll be getting is a sunburn. I then walk over to him & tell him about the guy sitting out there at a 100 yds because I know he can't see him from where he's at. All & all a good laugh. Any one else out there have experiences w/the considerate hunter?

2. Finch

Finch Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Nope, I don't believe I've had any quite like you described. Glad to see you took it well. Funny story!

3. WesternMdHardwoods

WesternMdHardwoods Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Haha you cant do nothing but laugh!!! I can remember probably 4yrs ago going to my local state land for the MD rifle opener. I was completly surrounded by orange, im talking 4 guys within 100yrds!!! I layed down behind two big fallen trees and waited for the morning to be over with!!! I was too scared to attempt to walk to the truck!!!!

4. Tribal

Tribal Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I still am amazed at at the "HUNTERS" who are in the woods. Not only is it scary but it's a shame. I'm glad you laughed as it is funny.

5. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Great story Hank. I had a guy come to within 30 yards and all of a sudden looked up at me. At the top of his lungs he yells "Oh ****, Sorry Dude!" Think you could have heard him from a mile away.

6. peakrut

peakrut Facebook Admin

Dislikes Received:
    I heard a guy once playing take me out to the ball game on his tube.
    It turned out it was my damn brother about 150 yards away during gun season back in the 90's.

7. in da woods

Dislikes Received:
    that's a riot there peakrut. I'd say he was a little bored.

8. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I had a guy actually shoot at a basket rack buck not 30 yards from my stand.He was shooting through the woods and it was fairly thick so he had no shot of hitting the deer but he walks up a few minutes later smoking a cigarette and gets to where he shot at the deer and is looking for blood,then spots me.I politely told him he missed.BUT,the best/worst part of the story was when I heard the shot and looked in that direction,there was about a 150" deer coming down the trail that led by my tree.Of course I saw him turn and run the other way.

Later,I watched another young deer walked up to where he stood,sniffed around and turn and go back where he came from.Amazing what you can learn from deer when you watch them instead of just shooting everything you see.

9. in da woods

Dislikes Received:
    Kinda scary out there at times. Where do these guys learn their hunting ethics? What got me, is that no one bothered to look first & scan where they were going.

10. madhunter

madhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am sure that i will not have that problem where I am going but I know that if I am not there that many guys will want to trespass all over the place. So I am going out to "stand guard".

I do plan on hunting too though.

11. isaiah

isaiah Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    dont know bout yall but i get really nervous when i see other hunters in the woods (riflemen) if at all possible i'll hide (i know childish) and let em walk by... archers, i'll feel out if we are walking in or out for the day and offer a little small talk. but yeah always interesting to see it on the other side of the spectrum

12. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I don't really gun hunt because of that exact reason. If I do it is only when I go out to my private land in WV.

13. gplant

gplant Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This is why I dont hunt stateland in my area anymore. This stuff went on all the time.

14. Hogwire

Hogwire Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I was bowhunting the second Sat. this month and had gotten all settled in and heard a shot probly bout 100 yds. away and was definitely pointed in my general direction. Bout fell out of my tree but filled an antlerless permit about 15 minutes later. That really made me mad cause I thought someone was shootin a rifle at a deer. When I went to get my truck I actually found where a bullet had glanced off the old oilfield gravel road I walk out on. Found out later it was a guy from our hunting lease that should know better. He said he was shootin his .223 at a squirrel. Quarry matching the hunter! lp