I have a ? About field dressing deer

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Big D, Dec 11, 2021.

1. Big D

Big D Newb

Dislikes Received:
    How come in bow hunt or die it never looks like they field dress there deer. I was brought up in hunting that you want to dress deer as soon as you find it

2. bowhtr1

bowhtr1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    We have never field dressed a deer. We always haul them back to camp to clean. If you are going to be hours then you need to field dress them. I'm never more than an hour.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

oldnotdead likes this.
  3. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    other than when it's warm, there's nothing wrong per se not gutting one out immediately. They're just a helluva lot heavier to drag through the woods, even on a cart.

Unless the drag is a concern, I wouldn't worry about getting them gutted right away unless it's over 40-45*, you got a few hours after they expire at least. Caveats being if you shot them in the guts at all, then get right to it soon as you can, or if it died and is laying in wide open field in direct sun. Even in freezing temps, direct sun can help the deer's body temp stay warm enough for gut bateria to grow and bloat.

4. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    At camp when all terrain are there always drag to gutting spot near cabin. Here at home always field dress. At camp we do not want coyote and bear in the thick brush where we hunt. Here at home don't want them near the house. More than once though, I've killed good buck checking out a gut pile and several doe.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2021
  5. Big D

Big D Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Ok thanks for all the answers.

opossumhunterNC likes this.
  6. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Also, bucks take better pictures before

In Venatione Veritas

7. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I prefer to hang the deer properly in good light to do a good job gutting, that being said the deer is gutted wishing a half hour of recovering. Like to hang 10-14 days too.

dnoodles likes this.
  8. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    one of the benefits of living close to the arctic circle, lol

oldnotdead and Sota like this.
  9. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    We typically do our post-recovery interviews immediately upon finding the animal, before it's field-dressed and there's a mess all over the place. Anything that's done the following day is done after field-dressing. We do our best to make the animal look presentable during those shots so you're not going to see blood all over the place and rib cages propped open.

JStarr, quadlee, trial153 and 2 others like this.
  10. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    when I used to hunt/leased my private for 18 yrs, we would take the deer across the road to a small hill side and field dressed them there ('prolly did 60 deer there), as it was easier to have the guts facing down hill, and all the blood/guts flowed out nicely and there was a creek at the bottom where one could wash up afterward.. .. Now, I'm back to state land, and can only use a cart(Hawk Crawler)/deer sled to get 'em out, so I field dress where they drop then cart them back to the truck/suv ...if cold enough, I do like to let it hang for 7-10 days before cutting it up ... if its to warm, I'll take it to the processor, Ive known/used him for years and he does a great job ...