I hate hanging treestands in the summer

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Justin, Aug 14, 2008.

1. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Over the past decade or so there's been in this trend in the bowhunting world where we seem to take some sort of pride in the fact that we spend ridiculous amounts of time and money doing stupid things all year long in pursuit of big whitetail deer. Whether it's paying out the nose for a lease, driving across the country with gas at an all-time high, buying a new $1000+ bow setup every year, digging the change out of our seat cushions to afford a new treestand or some new camo, or sitting in a tree in the sweltering heat or frigid cold when we could be at home night and cozy in our beds. It's like a badge of honor that we work our tails off and the more suffering we put ourselves through the more "hardcore" we really are.

One thing that seems to make some people more hardcore than others is hanging stands in the middle of summer when the mosquitos are biting the hell out of you and you're sweating to death all the while cursing out your treestands and equipment and thinking "What the hell am I doing this for?". I don't know about you guys, but I hate that crap. I really want to make a better effort in the future to get stand sites cleared out in the spring when you can see deer sign, it's not super hot, and it doesn't make your life miserable. We did a few this past March and I'm loving the fact that all I need to do is hang the stands and do some last-minute trimmage for anything that's grown up this summer. Wonderful! I wish I would have done more. I believe my days of sweating my nads off and coming home looking like I rolled through a patch of thorn bushes are about over. Or at least that's what I say now, next summer I'll probably say the same thing. :D

2. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Yep, hanging stands in the summer sucks. I hung 11 this last week for my bear hunters that are coming in today. Did 5 in one day.

Am I complaining? Yep! :d

3. peakrut

peakrut Facebook Admin

Dislikes Received:
    You can take Cole (Frog_Slayer) with you he loves it.
    As for me I cant wait to see what it will be like with my Lone Wolf stand and sticks setting
    up 04:30ish in the morning.

4. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    The first couple times - a PITA and very noisey. You're going to clang buckles into every piece of metal within 100 yards of you. Once you get the hang of it, not bad. Just make sure you've got your trees trimmed beforehand. Nothign worse than the sun coming up only to realize you've got no shooting lanes!

5. BowHuntingFool

BowHuntingFool Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    After the first two or three times is like old hat! I think its easier hanging my alpha than using my climber! I can go in any tree a climber can go in and more! Peak make sure you get a cap light, something like cats eyes or along those lines, very helpful!

6. Txjourneyman

Txjourneyman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have to go next weekend to hang stands on some of the new land. (west Tx)It will be HOT, I'll be alone so no help. (and yes I will have a linemans belt and harness on at all times!) I almost don't want to go now that I have the closer east Tx land but west will offer a better chance at better deer.

7. OKbowhunter

OKbowhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yes the summer heat can be rough. All my stands are finally hung, but when I was putting them up, it was brutal.

8. MichaelHunsucker

MichaelHunsucker Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Dude, i hear ya! We have 80 some stand sites around here that we hunt...thankfully most of them just need a little trim! Even though we start in the spring we still end up messin around with them all the way up until season starts seems like...

9. dukemichaels

dukemichaels Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You're a homo.

10. MichaelHunsucker

MichaelHunsucker Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    x2 :deer:

11. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    After doing this one July years ago and getting into a serious nest of seed ticks, i just cant get myself to do it anymore. Ill start off with my climber unless i left stands hung from last season. you look miserable in the pic Juston :d

12. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Et tu, Brute? :mad1: