I gots me a stick bow...now what?

Discussion in 'Traditional Archery' started by babyburb, Nov 20, 2008.

1. babyburb

babyburb Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ok old school guys,

Several years ago a friend of the family gave me a Fred Bear 55# recurve. I've shot it on occasion but now I want to get serious about it after this season. I fletched up some super slam selects 2315 with feathers and 125 grain tips. I use a 3 finger leather glove release.

Does anyone have any advise that would help me get going? I know I will have to spend alot of time to get accurate, I just need all the help I can get.

2. Txjourneyman

Txjourneyman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Start by shooting at a bale not a target. Concentrate on form to begin with. Once you have good form down it will be easier to get consistant. Shoot as often as you can and then a bit more.

3. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Like Greg said shoot, shoot, shoot! And then shoot again. To be honest I'm betting you will really enjoy shooting It and It won't really be a chore, It will be fun.

The 1st things you want to accomplish as a traditional shooter are good form and technique. Don't worry so much If your hitting your spot your shooting at, just worry about good consistent form, release point, and technique. Get those few things down and your arrows will start showing some consistency on where your looking/aiming before you know It.

Good luck and most of all have fun with It!!:cool:

4. shed

shed Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    you can never shoot these trad bows enough

5. babyburb

babyburb Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    As far as form goes, is it basically the same as with a compound? Fluid draw, find a comfortable anchor point, and pull through the release with back tension?

Is there a certain nock position for the fletching contact with bow?
    I have been tilting the bow about 30 degrees to shoot, is this ok?
    Do I need a stabilizer or can I just shoot a bare bow? I do have fussy string silencers.

6. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Basically yes It's the same In what you just explained. You shooting fingers?

If your shooting 3 fletched It's best to have the cock feather pointing away from the riser.

Nothing wrong with that at all. I think It really helps being It open's up your sight window (what you see) much more. No right or wrong either way. I shoot my recurve with a "cant" to It also but I also practice with It straight up and down In case I can't "cant" my bow because of a tree limb or something of the sort.

I don't use stabilizers but I'm not everyone. The one thing about traditional bows Is It's a simple bow, not usually to many gadgets for one to tinker with. By no means do you have to have a stabilizer on one, personally I've never used one In 20+ years shooting recurve's. The fuzzy string silencers are a good thing. They will help take the "twang" out of the bow when you shoot It.