I feel like I've established some level of credibility on this site...

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by quiksilver, Oct 23, 2011.

1. quiksilver

quiksilver Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So will somebody PLEASE listen to me this winter, and buck up the $50 for a pair of IceBreakers Boot Mittens, and wear them on a cold-ass day, so that I can have a witness as to how well they work?

Every year, I'll bet I respond to 10 different "my feet are cold" posts, spewing the same old tired song about these stupid boot mittens. Nobody ever listens. It's maddening.

So please. Somebody. Anybody. When the forecast is calling for single digits, shell out some of that moldy money and try it.

All you've gotta do is toss two small chemical handwarmers in each bootie (one in the toe, one in the heel), zip 'em on and enjoy.

I know you guys think I'm nuts, and for a lot of reasons, I think those concerns are justified. But I'm not b.s.'ing here. They really do work, and if you get cold, it's the best $50 that you'll ever spend. This is one of the very few purchases that can actually add stand time to your season, and potentially be the difference between filling a tag, or retreating back to the truck like a pansy because your little tootsies are cold.

I swear that I don't own stock in Icebreakers, and I'm not working on commission.

[​IMG]

2. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
  3. soccerdan90

soccerdan90 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ive always thought about buying a pair. My feet go numb in cold weather. I even wear warm boots. I may have to look into them more seriously.

4. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    LMAO beat me to it.

Would a handwarmer in your boot itself not accomplish the same thing King?:sheep:

5. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Fran - do yourself a favor and get a pair of Hot Mocs (formerly Thermal Feet). They are small enough you can put them in your pocket if you wanted to. I've been using them for years and they're fan-freaking-tastic. I've used the insulated boot-type products like you posted and found them to be bulky to carry in, loud, and the make me feel like I can't move while I'm in my stand. As someone who is a sissy about cold feet, and has used both products, I can tell you the Hot Mocs are the way to go. In fact, I'd go as far as saying that they are "the cat's meow". :dan:

6. D34

D34 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm with you Quicksilver. I have had the Arctic Shield ones for two years now. I love them. I have never put a warmer in them but will definitely be doing that this year.

7. vectrix27

vectrix27 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a pair of these. They do work great. They have extended my stand time tremedously. I can handle my stomach growling, a little boredom, but I cannot handle cold feet. These things put a stop to that. Like he said, just put a couple of heat packs in there and you are good to go.

8. quiksilver

Dislikes Received:
    No. The handwarmer doesn't fit so well in your boot, and they tend to get really hot in a certain spot on your foot, causing everything to go haywire. You invariably wind up in discomfort because your toes are mashed in there with a handwarmer, and the heat is so localized that it's incinerating one toe, leaving the remainder of your foot to freeze.

These things make your feet feel like you're just sitting at home on the couch. Honest to god, you could probably wear tennis shoes in them if you threw in an extra handwarmer.

Just try it. If you do it, and you still think I'm nuts, I'm sure you can return them from whence they came for either a refund or store credit.

9. racewayking

racewayking Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    X :dan::dan:

10. gutone4me

gutone4me Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would rather have cold feet than look :dan:

11. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would but I have no buck tag left, so when the temps plummet I just won't be out there lol. I too am a sissy with cold feet, so I started making sure to take my buck before the temps began dropping to avoid the hassle. That's my story anyway! :tu:

12. quiksilver

Dislikes Received:
    I've eyed up the hot mocs for those 'tweener' days. The boot blankets are bulky and loud - probably best suited for either gun season or a stand where you can shoot sitting down. The mocs look like the ticket for that 15-30 degree range.

When my feet get cold, I am in absolute misery. I can hunt through just about anything, but once my toes feel like they're ready to snap off, I'm running for the car like a girl.

13. gutone4me

gutone4me Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    quik when we found out you really wear these you lost you credibility :dan: :lol:

[​IMG]

14. Tuco

Tuco Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have used these and they do work. I then got a Heater Body Suit and never had cold feet again. But the Heater Body Suit was almost too warm if you can believe it. So I sold it on Ebay and got a Warm Bag and it is just right for me and it keeps my feet warm.

15. NY Bowhunter

NY Bowhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    4 hand warmers for each day when it's cold. Let's just say they are $1 per warmer. $4 per sit on a cold day. Let's say 3 weeks in NY of "cold" days of hunting. 21 days xs $4 = $84 in warmers plus $50 in boot sock things. $134 invested in warm feet. Add another $84 if you need to reload the warmers for afternoon hunts. Maybe it would be better to purchase a pair of 2000 gram boots that you'll have for years? :deer:

16. Finch

Finch Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have the Artic Shield boot insulators and they do work. Hell, I work them last weekend when it was in the lower 40's. They are responsible for keeping me in the stand longer.

17. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Great idea King. Do you wear those booties along with your Snuggie on those coldest of days as well?

[​IMG]

18. quiksilver

Dislikes Received:
    Greg, the King swaddles himself in the finest linens for his hunts.

19. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Well, it is definitely paying off. Congrats on another fine buck.

20. Vito

Vito Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You are using your credibility to promote slippers? Really? Stick to spewing knowledge about shed hunting, scouting, killing old bucks, and not being afraid of fast bows.