"I dont shoot a crossbow because I'm a man" <----these guys

Discussion in 'Crossbows' started by jacob, May 15, 2014.

1. papadude

papadude Newb

Dislikes Received:
  2. jemcmichael

jemcmichael Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Heard a really good point this year about crossbows. The bowhunters who hunt with crossbows are usually fine and I don't have a problem with them. It's the rifle hunters who hunt with the crossbow like it's a gun that are the problem. Never had thought of it that way, but I think it's spot on.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

3. SCFox

SCFox Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If it's legal in your state and you enjoy it, that's all that matters. IMO, however, they shouldn't be included in an archery season. They are as far removed from archery as a modern shotgun or muzzleloader.

SCFox

4. Hunting Man

Hunting Man Newb

Dislikes Received:
    As age and shoulder/neck problems have pushed me to the crossbow, I say use whatever you want to and let the naysayers hunt by themselves. Over the years I enjoyed recurve, compound, and now crossbows, besides it keeps me in the woods. By the way I use an Excalibur and will be getting a now one this spring.

5. joejoe32

joejoe32 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Don't listen to those turds. I had to use one this year following shoulder surgery shortly after season opened. Most guys that ***** about it most likely have never used one. Imo the only pros to a xbow are easier to consistently shoot more accurately and not having to worry about movement while drawing on game. Everybody thinks you can drop a deer at crazy distances with a xbow but anything over 30 will pry jump the string cause xbows are way louder than most compounds. In a tree xbows are awkward and heavy so I had to hold it the whole time while on stand. They will also tell you xbows are way faster and have more kinetic energy which is also not true. Most compounds are pretty much the same as xbows matching speed and kinetic energy. I personally think my compound was easier so I sold my xbow after tagging out. So I really don't understand why it's such a big deal. It's not necessarily easier as most people are led to believe.

6. mhouck06

mhouck06 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I don't care why a person uses a crossbow. If it's legal and they are ethical archery hunters then why waste your time worrying about what weapon they use. There are people that take bone head shots with cross bows, but there also are people that take bone head shots with compounds. It's the people that have no respect for the game or archery hunting in general that get me worked up.

7. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yes it is.

I have killed plenty of deer with both my compound bow and my CB, so my thinking is based on fact rather than opinion. It's simply not having to stand or draw the bow that gives such an advantage to the CB hunter. I missed an opp this year at the biggest buck I've ever seen on the Public land I hunt. He busted me standing for the shot. If I was using my CB I wouldn't have had to stand and that would be a dead buck, I guarantee it!

Think about it. A CB is always cocked, so you have eliminated a lot of movement and possible noise at a critical time. This also means you can "hold" for an unlimited amount of time. A BIG plus. Having a scope also helps with it's light gather abilities. I agree, there's NO shot distance advantage though. Hey, if it's fun and it's legal, have at it.

8. joejoe32

joejoe32 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I usually don't stand if a deer comes in while I'm sitting. Learn to shoot sitting down. There is movement when drawing your compound but if ur not holding your xbow when deer come in its also a lot of awkward movement to grab your xbow which is way bigger and heavier. Either way was just pointing out the fact most people have distorted perceptions of xbows because they have never used one. I like the fact they are legal.

9. early in

Dislikes Received:
    Right. But, as a hunter who owns and uses both, I'm simply saying there's a distinct advantage to using a CB, sitting or otherwise.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2015
  10. Oldcarp

Oldcarp Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I think shooting a crossbow is a blast. I love shooting them. In a stand a crossbow does have its advantages. But in a spot-in-stalk they don't.

11. neil

neil Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have been a bowhunter for about 40 years.Started out with a ben pearson 50lb recurve ,owned several pse compounds but can't shoot any more due to shoulder surgery.I bought a crossbow so i could still keep hunting because i live to be in the woods.

12. soccerdan90

soccerdan90 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm buying a Xbow this year so that my wife can hunt with it next year! Iowa finally allows anyone to use them during late season. I may even wack a deer or 2 with it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. early in

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome! Right now I hunt mainly with my compound, and use my CB late season. But, the day will come when it's just going to be the CB, because we all get old, and I'm planning on being in the woods as long as possible.

14. CCRIDER

CCRIDER Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I bought a crossbow because of an injury to my elbow that was preventing me from drawing my compound. Shot three deer in 1 week with it. Elbow got better and I went back to my compound. Didn't shoot another deer the rest of the season. Missed on the last day. Not the compounds fault. I just blew it. Steep angle. Anyway, I enjoy the compound more than the crossbow but when the day comes that I need the crossbow like I did in the beginning of this season, you better believe I'll be in the stand with it. I hope a lot of the other people that down the crossbow feel the same way about it if an injury happens to them. I am a believer in if the crossbow gets more people hunting thats a great thing for our sport / way of life.

15. Ventilator

Ventilator Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Personally, if I ever lose my ability to draw back a bow, I'll give up bowhunting before I use a crossgun.

V

16. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    What an ignorant statement....

17. early in

Dislikes Received:
    With that attitude, why are you even on the CROSSBOW forum?

18. mshm99

mshm99 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like a statement from someone who is young and still bullet proof. I won't hold it against you. You might change your mind when you get a few more miles on the odometer.
    Mike in Illinois

19. Rogue6

Rogue6 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Seems this thread is about opinions so here is my 2 pennies... If it's legal and ethical go for it is your life so by god live it!!!! I Hunt Period! If I use a Sling shot or a rock its my choice as long as its legal and I take the animal as humanely as possible. I'm going to buy a crossbow as soon as I get room in my Den for it, They sound like great weapons to have.

20. Keith Mako

Keith Mako Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Wow this is a crossbow thread. Thats all I have to say!