I don't know what im going to do!

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by hunter97, Sep 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rybo

rybo Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    As already pointed out, there has been inconsistency in your story. That's fine, you are 15 and things happen fast.
    Connecting the bits & pieces, your story should have initially read
    "I took a far shot at a doe, heard a loud crack & she took a few hops, then kept feeding. I have no idea what actually happened"

There's no way you hit her in the shoulder and she's going to keep feeding. You likely grazed her somewhere to get the hair, and the noise you heard was your arrow hitting a rock in the field.

2. j.cannon26

j.cannon26 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I think it's wrong how he is bashing this 15yr old kid that was his first deer, so what's your point wirutjunkie? Whether or not this is his first deer he should learn QDM. Maybe you should too if you don't agree. People Like you and him are what gives this sport a bad name. He is a grown man maybe he should learn how to talk to kids and give them constructive criticism. QDM is what ensures the quality of the sport for are future hunters to come, not shooting any little buck that walks through the woods. If you don't know this by now you are failing at ensuring hunting for the future generations to come our kids and future grandkids.

3. BigRedOak

BigRedOak Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

The people who give the sport a bad name are people who don't care about wounding animals, like taking shot you aren't sure of and then fretting about your clothes. Also, disparaging other people's trophies is a good way to bring the sport down as well.

The deer in my picture was my first archery kill. Even so, I would hardly call a 2.5 year old six point a "little baby." I don't practice QDM because QDM only yields results on large tracts of private land where all the hunters are on the same page, and I don't have any such opportunities. I live in an urban area and drive over an hour each way to hunt, and when I get there I am on a tract with no agriculture and a lot of hunting pressure. So yes I consider my 6 pointer a trophy. I doubt you even understand the practicality of QDM for the average hunter. Regardless, most people get a few kills under their belt before they start holding out for 4.5 year old deer.

4. Vito

Vito Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This turned out well.

5. Dogfish

Dogfish Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  6. j.cannon26

j.cannon26 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Maybe you should do your homework about QDM, if more hunters practiced it some hunting areas would be better. One hunter at a time, but I sure can tell you're not the one to start the practice of harvesting mature bucks from the way you talk. And for your info my Secondary Degree is a Associates in Wildlife Management. I think I understand QDM JUST FINE!!!

7. BigRedOak

BigRedOak Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

No, I don't think that you do.

That deer was shot on a 700 acre tract of land that is part of a club with over 100 members. There are absolutely no antler restrictions, and the state gives three buck tags per year. Most people there are hunting for meat, and they shoot the first deer they see whether it is a three pointer or a doe. I am a member of this club because it is inexpensive and one of the closest to my house. So tell me, what would be achieved by me passing up a six pointer that also happened to be my first archery kill?

It is not possible to effectively practice QDM unless you have a group of people who are willing to agree to it. If you do not understand that, you don't understand QDM.

Saying "one hunter at a time" is like saying you are going to save the planet by trading in your truck for a bicycle. It isn't going to make one bit of difference.

8. bowsie15

bowsie15 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Wow its only a matter of time before a network picks up the new reality series called bowhunting.com. Just have to figure out which actors play which guys?????? This thread was starting to sound like the one from last year of the kid who claimed he was mauled by a cougar!!!!

9. WiRutJunkie

WiRutJunkie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I agree that that mature Deer should be targeted. The point I was making is that in some cases the size shouldn't matter i.e. a first deer. Overall the deer I try to take are mature because of the goals I have set and the beliefs I have. I do believe in QDM and it's importance for the future. My buddy has now hunted for four years and finally took his first buck last year that was a basket rack five. What kind if a friend would I be to scold him for accomplishing something he has worked hard to achieve.

10. dmen

dmen Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Qdm is a scam

11. 130Woodman

130Woodman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I enjoy practicing QDM but you have no right to bash another person for shooting what makes them happy. It is about having fun not impressing some vagina cleaner on the internet. Somebody needs to lock this thread.

12. j.cannon26

j.cannon26 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Maybe if you brought those views to the club president, you would be able to shoot better deer. One hunter at a time, means one person can be very influential in there ways and views if they try to be. But instead there are people like you that just settle for less and not more. Hey I understand that you really don't understand the values of QDM, so I posted something to help you with your ignorance. http://www.qdma.com/ in all truth and honesty if you need help with putting a program together for qdm on your club I will happily put one together for you and mail it to you. Will just need some info first about the land, plants and etc...

13. Vito

Vito Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Apparently, all you have to do is set a betting line to get a thread locked. Sooo...

The over/under for when this thread will be locked is set at 2:53 pm EST. Place your bets gentlemen.

14. MadMan

MadMan Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Jerry! Jerry! Jerry! :jerry:
    I'm going with 12:33 cst

Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
  15. brucelanthier

brucelanthier Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What is a "better" deer?

16. j.cannon26

j.cannon26 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    He has no right to bash a 15yr old young man either. Treat others like you would like to be treated. Maybe he will get the idea how this young man feels about quite a few of the comments on here.

17. indynotch50

indynotch50 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Please understand that for the most part, there is a core group of people on here who are very helpful. They are extremely active on this site all year round.
    It never fails that as soon as hunting season hits, you get a load of new people to the sight and their first posts are how they shot a deer and lost it. Most don't do any due dilligance to the animal. Then you have another flood of people to bash.
    It's very frustrating to watch from both perspectives, you see the same thing year after year of poeple posting about bad shot, then pages of arguing.

I get that you need an outlet to vent, but next time use more tact. You come on a hunting site apparently more worried about camo than a deer you shot and didn't recover / or missed all together.

As a lesson learned, be more respectful of the situation. First explain what happened, be honest and consistent. If you can say you effed up and looked for hours and found absolutely nothing, that's different than saying you lost a deer but you're concerned with your camo.

It's great your into bow hunting at such a young age. I wish I would have been. There is a lot to learn from the old timers on here. Learn from your mistakes and their wisdom (based on mistakes).

18. MichiganYoungBlood

MichiganYoungBlood Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Alright lets end this thread. Honestly

Sent from my Milestone X2 using Tapatalk 2

19. 130Woodman

130Woodman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Here's a novel idea START YOUR OWN THREAD. Locked by 1:45 CST.

20. Vito

Vito Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I like your guess of an exact time. We are now allowing side bets for exact time. Please keep all bets in EST time and US dollars.

130 is taking the under at 2:45 EST.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.