I don't know what im going to do!

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by hunter97, Sep 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. michael_pearce

michael_pearce Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    X's 100

Sent from my LG-E739 using Tapatalk 2

2. iHunt

iHunt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Lol this is getting kind of entertaining. What kind of bow are you shooting that would just barely break the skin on a doe?

Sent from my pocket computer using Tapatalk

3. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Below this line the honesty begins..........

********************************************************************************************************

Tell us how the shot really went down. I am telling you hunter97, anything you have done or will do I have done in the deer woods. I screwed up a lot in my early hunting career. But one thing I tried to do was be honest so that I could improve. Of course there are some things I have kept to myself, but when I post about something I put it all out there.

4. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Pretty sure we've all made a bad shot at some point or another. Everyone has different coping mechanisms for dealing with it. Not sure what everyone want the kid to do? I'm pretty sure there's a bunch of guys on here that have completely forgotten what they were like at 15.

Anyway, you might check out the Duffle Bag downtown St. Joe. you can probably pick up some old military camo on the cheap that will work just fine.

5. Cablebob

Cablebob Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I shot a buck in the back hip once. I hit a small limb that I didn't see because I rushed the shot and didn't check my shooting lane. Tracked that deer for a couple hours with relatively no blood. This was when I had only been hunting 3 years. It happens, I told one person until now...Just being honest.

6. slydog1

slydog1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Originally Posted by fletch920
    So glad your able to forget about it so soon. That must be comforting. I wonder how long the deer will remember....

Lets move along to something more exciting like new camo! That will help us forget.

This site is beginning to make me throw up in my mouth a little bit.

Is it just me feeling like this??

Im having the same feeling, I just keep biting my tongue. :confused:

7. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I shot a buck like that one time that was working a scrape. I hit a small limb and the arrow deflected and hit the buck in the back right hip. Lucky for me it his his femoral artery and he bled out and bedded down not 30 yards away. I stayed still and then retrieved him an hour later.

8. hunter97

hunter97 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    She was feeding in a bean field with some other deer. She finally came in range (30 yards) and I was shaking so bad.. I setteled the pin and squeezed. I heard a loud TWACK and she took off and ran 40 yards and contiued to feed for the last 15 minutes of light. At dark when she walked off with all the others I went after my arrow and looked for blood or anything to see if it was fatal or not. I found the arrow with a little bit of hair on the broadhead and went over to the last place I saw her which was in a Briar patch. I know I screwed up.. but that was my first ever shot at a deer with a Bow.

9. j.cannon26

j.cannon26 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hunter 97 don't rush your shot and calm your breathing. Try taking a few deep slow breaths to relax before your shot, I know it's hard. I have been shooting bows since I was 8, killed my first deer that same hunting season a 6point. I was shaking then, but I remembered what my dad told me relax and calm your breathing. 20 yrs later I still get excited and shaky before my shot but I steady my breathing and it calms my shakes down. Good luck young man hunt hard and hope you get one!!!

10. Vito

Vito Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If I would have taken a 30 yard shot at a deer when I was 15, my Dad would have slapped me upside the head.

Be a little more patient next time, and you'll likely have a dead deer. Good luck, kid.

Disclaimer: I was not on the state archery team.

11. BigRedOak

BigRedOak Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If your first concern is a pair of camo clothes, then you should give up hunting until you have more emotional and intellectual maturity.

When people say boneheaded things like you did, it shows not only that their thought process is incorrect, but also that they are so oblivious that they don't even understand there is a problem. In other words, even if you care more about your clothes than the animal that is suffering, you should know better than to think that this was going to go over well with the people here.

12. indynotch50

indynotch50 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hopefully you never get over the nervousness, just learn to control it better. I flat out missed the first deer I ever shot at with a bow. I hit a tiny limb and it went right over top of her.
    You'll learn with each shot. Last year was my first ever to bowhunt all year and I learned an abosolute ton.

I shot a monster of a buck wearing tan carhartt bibs and jacket (with an orange vest). As long as you don't get winded and you remain still, you'll be fine. I actually tore them later in the season putting my boots on, so not only did I have carhartts, the leg was duct taped. I was using my $100 muzzleloader kit I got for Christmas the year before. I didn't have any money then either.

13. englum_06

englum_06 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    What happened after you checked the briar patch? Did you see her? Hear her? What did the blood look like? Did you give her time and then go back out?

I shot a buck a couple of years ago that was high lung hit. He ran about 80 yards, stopped, stood and looked around. He stood there for probably 20 minutes, until it got too dark to see him. I assumed he bedded down there to die. I went there to look for him 4 hours later, and he was gone. I found the buck hundreds of yards away later on the next morning.

Not all deer react the same way on every hit. There's guidelines to follow, but each case may be different. Where did it look like your arrow went? A loud crack usually means bone. If you cracked bone, your arrow probably wasn't too far off. Good chance you hit something vital.

Id get out there and pick up the trail again. Check all water sources and grid the area. Even if it's too late for the meat, if you find the deer you'll find the answer to the mystery of what happened. You can add it to the memory bank of knowledge for future hunts. You're a new hunter and will make mistakes, look at this as an opportunity and LEARN FROM IT. I think that's what these guys are trying to teach you- a lesson. We all need them.

Think of it as "tough love".

14. j.cannon26

j.cannon26 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Wow BigRedOak this is coming from the guy posing with a immature little buck on his pic maybe you need to learn what QDM MEANS before you bash a 15 yr old. Grow up and give constructive comments to the young man. It's guys like you that give this great sport a bad name. Learn how to judge deer also before you shot little baby's like the one in your pic.

15. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hope you actually think about the mistakes you made and learn from them. Camo can be replaced.

16. hunter97

hunter97 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    She was snorting at me for awile. Iwent back with some family and friends to look for her... No blood, no deer. Im pretty sure she is fine considering how she acted after the shot. It was dark and after further examination I figured out that the "goo" was just water.

17. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  18. hunter97

hunter97 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Oh and before you guys bash me for making the worng call. My dad who has 30 years of Bowhunting experience was with me and saw the shot. He is the one that said shoulder shot. Im not a "Rookie" hunter... I have killed over a Dozen deer. I just needed a place to rant... wasnt expecting so many A-hole repsonces. I know you guys are trying to help but you could have put some of your responces differently.

19. gutone4me

gutone4me Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

I laughed :lol:

20. WiRutJunkie

WiRutJunkie Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think it's wrong the way your devaluing his deer in that picture. That may be his first buck or in some other way special to him and that's what makes a trophy not the size of the antlers. Personally i think your type of thinking is what is wrong withe SOME of today's hunters and give it a bad name.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.