I did NOT paper tune,BUT I did

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by tfox, Aug 8, 2012.

1. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I did check my tune with paper

Here are some examples of what a well tuned bow can do through paper. NOT ONCE DID I MOVE THE REST after setting centershot with french tune.
    I originally set my son's bow up and never checked paper. WE went out and broadhead tuned the bow.I then came in and checked paper. I noticed a right tear. I did not move the rest to correct this,I put twist in the left side of the yoke.(if memory serves me,this was a while back)

I then noticed later on that he was getting a low tear at 6+ feet. It was shooting well so I let it go until tonight(this was a few weeks ago).I figured it was caused by the cams being out of time so I checked and sure enough,the stock cable had creeped so I put 1 twist in.I then releveled the arrow and went back out and broadhead tuned.

Just for giggles tonight I started playing with different arrows and here is what I found,HIS BOW IS ABOUT AS TUNED AS i CAN GET IT.

45# @ 25" draw. His arrows are the Axis 600's cut a little long to bring the spine in dead on.
    I have all these arrows laying around so I started playing around with them. Paper was perfect until I shot a way underspined 1716 and a way over spined .340 but even they weren't bad.

Just thought I would share,because to tell you the truth,I was surprised.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 8, 2012
  2. Copehunt

Copehunt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I really need a guy like you for a next door neighbor! You know bow.

3. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    There are plenty of guys around. Just go to the local shoots and listen. You will find someone willing to teach.

I happened to find a guy this way that just happened to have tuned and coached for world record holders.

4. Rampaige

Rampaige Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You helped me out a ton. I ended up upgrading my bow, but did my whole setup and tune by myself with your advice. I got my center shot using uour french tune method, but I still had to paper tune. First I did fletched arrows then did bare shafts. And that was about all I needed. Now I can shoot bare shafts with perfect flight out just past 30 yards.

5. Backcountry

Backcountry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What were the specs on the arrows, weights, point weights, etc... I figured the .500 and .600 would shoot close, I didn't figure that close! very cool results

6. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The ACC prohunter was 368 grains with 100 gr point, 4" helical feathers and 26 5/8" long

Axis 340 was 397 grains with 100 gr point, blazer vanes and 27" long.

the 1716 was 363 grains with 100 gr points ,wrapped and 4" feathers @ 25" long

The Axis 600 was 385 grains with 75 gr brass inserts and 100 gr points,4" feathers @ 25" long

The FMJ was 385 grain with 100 grain points and 4" feathers at 27 1/2" long

7. Backcountry

Backcountry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I like that Axis 600 arrow setup!

8. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That is his hunting arrow and the one that is spined for his setup.It had a cleaner hole at 3'.

He pounds targets with it.

Hopefully he will pound a big buck with it.