Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

I am on the fence here....help!

Discussion in 'Crossbows' started by Cam Fan, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Cam Fan

Cam Fan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    After a life time of injuries and age etc it is getting hard for me to shoot my compound bow. I have been thinking of a crossbow. I have shot long bows and moved into recures and finally a compound.
    My question is would I be better off shooting a compound with less poundage or should I go to a crossbow?
    I also know you get what you pay for. I have found that out with trail cams. If I do a crossbow what is my best bet with a middle of the road or starter bow? I am leary of stores that sell junk trail cams for my cross bow.
    Thanks
    Steve

2. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Steve - the question really boils down to how comfortable and accurate you are shooting a compound. Keep in mind you only need to pull 40 lbs to be legal in most states for whitetail hunting. If you find yourself not being able to shoot a compound effectively in hunting situations, by all means switch to a crossbow. I haven't personally hunted with one, but I have shot several. What I found in my limited experience was that the nicer (higher priced) bows where much lighter and quieter. All bows, regardless of price, seemed to be the same level of accuracy.

So as you said - you get what you pay for. If possible I'd try to get something at least in the mid price range if you want it to last you awhile.

Either way you decide to go - good luck! And keep us posted.

3. Cam Fan

Cam Fan Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I went to a store to looked at cross bows, when I saw how hard it was to cock it and all I could hear were the limbs hitting my stand, I decided to stay with my compound until I can no longer hunt with it. I may take my sons long bow this year since he is in college.

4. tdelliott

tdelliott Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Steve,
    I hear you when it comes to age and injuries. I switched to a cross bow 4 years ago. Accuracy, kill ratio and confidence increased for me. I shoot a 150 Horton Summit with a red dot. That's all you need. $300.00. Any thing more is over kill. You don't need a scope for a 20 or 30 yard shot. Good luck
    Tom

5. tdelliott

tdelliott Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Steve,

I switched to a cross bow 4 years ago for the same reasons you mentioned.
    Accuracy, kill ratio and confidence increased. I shoot a 150 Horton summit with a red dot. $300.00. That's all you need. Anything more is over kill. You don't need a scope for a 20 - 30 yard shot.