I am offended...

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Vabowman, Jul 31, 2020.

1. Vabowman

Vabowman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    So as a public school teacher of Civics/History, I have been in the classroom 15 years. There have been good debates among the students over the years and this year will be likely the apex of it. However, I was instructed by admin that all teachers will have to pick a book from a list to read. Well, the list is a list of books that are supposed to deal with "inclusion", "equality" and "race". As I read the instructions, I got mad. I got offended. Does this mean that one can assume that I am incapable of tolerance? Is it because I am a white middle age male from the south? I must not be able to recognize my own ignorance.. (sarcasm) I now have to read a book to learn how to be tolerant, show equality and understand the black race? Well, a little history for them. I was married to a half black woman for 14 years. Have two boys that have African-American Blood in them. I went to college at a historically black university. I have been in public schools since 1980-1994 with black kids. I been around blacks my whole life. Most of my neighbors are black. Taught thousands of black kids over the years. But a book about racism and equality is going to learn me something? Please. enough already. I live my life according to the Gospel, albeit I struggle with sin like everyone, but I do not treat people based on their race, I treat them based on their character. Just like Dr King suggested. Yet, I am being judged based on my race. Yes, I am offended, but in today's America, Im last in line when it comes to being offended. Nobody gives a rip if I am offended. I will crawl back in my hole now

2. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    To Kill a Mockingbird is what we were made to read back in the day, why should it be any different today. Maybe the woke crowd has written a book on the matter... just kidding the woke crowd couldn't be bothered to publish something.

However, I am currently reading The Color of Law regarding white flight and zoning laws, particularly the R1 zoning law that was purely racist from the get go. It's a real page turner.. good but pretty dry.

But I get what you are saying. My mom is a retired educator, 36 years in the classroom and 4 years in administration. She is super happy to be away from it or so she says as she heads off to help new teachers, read to kindergartners and help tutor. Pre-covid that is. Every classic ever written deals with those things that will never change throughout human existence so why look for some new fandango source.

virginiashadow likes this.
  3. Vabowman

Dislikes Received:
    To Kill A Mockingbird is a true classic. It was a must in that time. Today, there is false racism all around us. Remember, you find whatever you want if you look hard enough. Self fulfilling prophecy.. Morgan Freeman once said, when asked about what to do about racism... his reply "stop talking about it" just saying

gr_andrews and Okiebob like this.
  4. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I am a TCM/ Golden Age of movies fanatic ... "To Kill a Mocking Bird" by Harper Lee was a reading and movie we had to have in High School .. still is one of my top favorite movies .... Greg Peck as Atticus Finch sticks in my mind as did "Boo" and "Scout"....

Vabowman likes this.
  5. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Kudos to you for having to endure 15 years teaching.
    I can't even imagine.

Vabowman likes this.
  6. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Funny how the progressives know better than you how you should be teaching. Good luck just try to incorporate your real life experiences in with the material provided.

Vabowman likes this.
  7. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I feel your pain and you have every right to feel offended. I have to ask.......didn't you see this coming?

8. Vabowman

Dislikes Received:
    Oh yeh Greg, I sure did. It's going to get worse too. White folks are apologizing for things they haven't even done. They are groveling and it is quite embarrassing. None of it is legit and it's all to try and rid themselves of guilt. I have no guilt what so ever. I have lived my life treating people fairly. I have never oppressed any person of color. I never owned a slave. I never denied a person of color their rights. White guilt is real, not white privilege.

Sota and GregH like this.
  9. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    ^^^ Nothing more you can do. It is time for people to wake up and be realistic.

Sota and Vabowman like this.
  10. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    So would say that is not very woke of you.

GregH and Vabowman like this.