Hunting without preparation

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by 18andrew, Aug 15, 2016.

1. 18andrew

18andrew Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It seems like most people on the forum are running trail cams planting food plots hanging new stands scouting more ect... But I know a couple old timers who make fun of me for doing that. Everyear they sit in the same stand that they have been for the last 15 years and get deer. No trail cams food plots corn piles none of that. Anyone else on here like that?

2. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I know a guy like that. he has a wall of monsters including 2 Boone and Crockett. Defies every rule we practice, goes completely against the grain as far as preparation and still kills mature bucks year after year. He has a bunch of stands goes to them once in like July to trim his lanes and replace the straps then he comes back in November with his bow. His theory is low impact....Maybe he's on to something. Lol

3. happyhunter

happyhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    He's on to something alright, a proven place to kill big deer.....

4. ybohunt

ybohunt Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds a lot like my Dad,he might go scouting once but other than that he does not go in the woods until season.

5. ash d

ash d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My father in law had a spot where bucks would run every year. He took my brother in law up there they were there about 15 minutes and wouldn't ya know 2 bucks come cruising by. Property has since sold. Wish I could find a automatic spot like that.

6. Bowsage

Bowsage Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That's me and I'm not alone . For me, cameras and bait will not help me learn about deer. It takes time to learn deer , years that is.

7. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I don't believe there's any right or wrong way to kill deer on a consistent basis. As people have proven time and time again there's no formula you can follow that's going to guarantee success. If you're lucky enough to have a good spot to hunt and a proven location to kill deer, more power to you. Go in there once a year and have at it.

The one thing I think is missing from this conversation is that most of us get as much enjoyment out of the preparation as we do the hunt itself. I personally enjoy running cameras, putting in food plots, hanging stands, etc. I'm not doing it only because I think it will help me kill more or bigger deer. I'm fairly confident I could walk into the woods in late October, find a spot to hang a stand and kill a deer just as effectively as I could by doing months of preparation. I'm doing it because I like to.

8. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    There is no one way to go about hunting...but there is one way I prefer personally :biggrin:

9. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My personal opinion is they are doing what works for then and what they were taught to do. Sounds like he has the access to land that holds big bucks consistently. Which generally means good habitat with sources for shelter, food and water and of course the ladies when the time comes. No all of us are that fortunate and have to build that habitat. Sometimes even in small pieces. For example I have permission to hunt two 20 acre tracts. One in Virginia and one in North Carolina.

Both are only about 5 acres of woods and are not located between feeding and bedding areas. So to see deer consistently we have to do something to get them interested and keep that interest.

Dont get me wrong what the ol timer is doing obviously works but only if you have the resources. Also back in the day we didn't have trail cameras, scents and grunt tubes. If you wanted scents you removed the tarsal gland or urine during field dressing. Money was spent on bullets and a licenses.

Now to Justin's point I am at the stage in my life that I really do enjoy watching the deer grow. Also it gives me a sense that I am giving back for what I am taking by creating habitat and food for the animals I hunt. Yeah it helps my chances but it also helps theirs. Especially if rough winters are ahead. Just a thought.

10. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    That just sounds... Boring to me.

I think I get more enjoyment out of preparing for the season to start than I do at killing a deer. I haven't killed a deer in 3 years and have 0 problems with that. To each his own, though!

11. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I like to scout and find new spots to hunt. The grind drives me to continue to become a more efficient hunter, one who can analyze a piece of property and narrow it down rather quickly. I don't know of any other way to be successful on the place I hunt.

12. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'll also state this and it in no way means they're wrong...but some extremely successful hunters are due to circumstances they do nothing for: like great spot.

Transplant that hunter elsewhere and their walls will not grow with bucks as fast as normal and their patience may run thin.

As an example...my father and I have permission to hunt behind a house...seriously this is a 3 acre chunk that is oriented right by the only BIG (70+ feet) hillside around...it pinches down at the base of this hill between the hill and the house....if I could own any house in our county it would be this one. Walk out back and you have a pinch point spot that doesn't exist ANYWHERE for miles...not too mention the way our county roads are a deer can literally go miles to the east with no road and to head west they have to go through this spot if not covered by night.....they can head south to for a few miles.....and West for miles and miles with just one road to cross. It literally is the best spot for the laziest hunter. One could literally if hunted enough and smart each year see a shooter every year. We have a cam there and at least one 4.5 year old or older (bunch of AWESOME 3's) come by at some point during daylight hours during the season.

13. davidingle

davidingle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I feel like people who hunt this way know the land they are hunting. They probably know where they bed, where they feed, and the route they take. I'm trying to adopt a similar strategy on the main farm I hunt by staying out, not running cameras and only hunting my prime stands on perfect days. I have a couple other areas that I hunt and have been glassing this summer but I am not running any cameras to minimize my presence in the woods. We'll see if it works out

14. parkersdad

parkersdad Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I scout year round so I know my places. I however do not use trail cams and never will. I also don't bait and hunt public land, my choice. To me that is the most gratifying way to hunt. Not cutting on anyone just telling how I do it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think this says it all. ^ The anticipation is greater than the realization.

16. Marauder

Marauder Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Perhaps the old school guys have done their scouting years ago.

17. 130Woodman

130Woodman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If you can find that one spot in the woods that needs no work and stay out of it more power to you. I enjoy scouting and seeing how the deer are using a piece of ground but I like to do that in February or March then stay out until I hang stands then stay out again until it's time to hunt.

18. SheddingLightTravis

SheddingLightTravis Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think a lot of us do the work because it makes the reward feel greater. We feel as though we did something that MAY have increased our odds and as many hunters say "the hard work paid off". And yes as some have said it is enjoyable work at times.

I ran a couple marathons back in 2010. I hate running and always have...and still do. But I wanted a big challenge and doing something I hated seemed to be a good challenge....extremely stupid reasoning but a good challenge never the less. I trained like crazy. And after I crossed the finish line I was pumped. My hard work paid off and the feeling was great. Very painful but great.

Not that I could have but if I would have just shown up on race day and somehow pulled off running 26.2 miles without months of training I would have felt accomplished but maybe not as much.

You get the point. I'm happy for the old guy that shows up and can get it done without having to prepare much. Maybe I can be him one day. But for now, I enjoy the satisfying work that sometimes leads to a satisfying reward.

To be honest, just being in the woods enjoying Gods creation is enough of a reward.

19. rick-florida

rick-florida Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    my hunting is about enjoying the whole process of the hunt, from preparation to spending dawn to dusk stalking game, to dragging one out if it all comes together. but the filling of the tag is secondary. I applaud those that fill tags with no apparent effort, but for me I really enjoy the effort.

20. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I like scouting and running cams so I know what's out there. It gets me excited for what's to come hopefully. Unfortunately I don't have as much time as I'd like to scout but still try as much as I can.