Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Hunting with a Lens?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by MUDSHARK, Jan 17, 2024.

1. MUDSHARK

MUDSHARK Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm 57 and I am thinking of putting a lens on my site, has anyone done this? for hunting reasons.

if so what power? do i need to update to a different site I have an IQ Bow site.

Do I or will need a clarifier or anything along that line?

yes im getting older and the eyes are starting to fade!!!! i wear contacts !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i would appreciate any and all commits???????

wl704 likes this.
  2. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Id be afraid of fogging, snow/moisture, etc. ..... the only lens I use(d) was for my indoor bow and 3D ... when was the last time you went to see the eye doc ... my contacts are set up for the right eye closer, left eye further (right eye dominate)... works out fine for clearing the pin enough for hunting ... odds are you would need glass in your peep... I wouldnt go any stronger than a 4X for hunting, maybe a 2x, but check on how either would be if you get a very close shot, might be fuzzy ... my pin(s) have never been 'clear', my target is what I want clear and having the contacts set up close/far works great for me, even for daily use ...btw, your eyes are not able to focus on two points at the same time, so something will be fuzzy ...

"It is not possible for the human eyes to focus on two different things at the same time. This is due to the way our visual system works, which allows us to focus on one object at a time. However, we can quickly shift our focus from one object to another, giving the illusion of simultaneous focus" .......

Last edited: Jan 17, 2024
    MUDSHARK likes this.
  3. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'm in the same boat. I've worn reading glasses for ~10 years, but the distance is going (+astigmatism and cataracts developing) years past, I always had enough light to be able to put the pin blob close enough.

My misses on elk this year has me in the same boat.

I think I'll need a clarifier with a lens, and I've been looking at 2x for hunting. I don't need much distance help and I don't want a scenario, like a scoped rifle, where you have too much magnification on the target.

Tho, if I were shooting competitively or in leagues, I might go work a higher magnification (4x or 6x)...

I've held off, given the cataracts...

Good luck

MUDSHARK likes this.
  4. Westfinger

Westfinger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have been hunting with a 2x On my HHA for a few years. I don’t need a clarifier for hunting but would need one if I was going to do any serious target shooting. I tried a 4x and it was to much.
    I wouldn’t be shooting past 30 some yards in the whitetail woods anyway

I thought about getting a clarifier put on my Hoyt but I’m not even sure I’m going to keep it at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MUDSHARK likes this.
  5. MUDSHARK

Dislikes Received:

I have a Clarifier in my peep , I’ve had it for 3 /4 yrs now. I have seen an eye Dr 3 months ago.

the clarifier is clear up my sight and contacts are for distance. Not much though.

I was thinking of a 4 X lens.
    The shop I go to said more and more ppl are using a lens for hunting. Are they trying to sell a lens and or more to get the sell or is this happening.

6. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I dont know of anyone using a lens for hunting (only indoors and 3d)... never saw one other than on a crossthingy, then it was a red dot scope .. ..

MUDSHARK likes this.
  7. Westfinger

Westfinger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I’m not sure how many people use them. You can’t really tell just looking at my HHA. The lens just sits in the housing secured with an end cap, it’s not a scope.
    It doesn’t fog up either.
    2x is obviously not much but I like it.
    It also provides a degree of protection to your sight pins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MUDSHARK likes this.
  8. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I know several guys that use lenses in their housing of their hunting sight, 1 or 2x is most common. I used a lenses and target sight on my very first caribou hunt. At the time I only had one bow and it was set up for summer 3d shooting pretty sure it was a 4x Zeiss lense. It was the end of August and I didnt have my hunting sight dialed in. I got the opportunity to jump on a last minute caribou hunt, I left my set up the way it was, screwed on some rocket steelheads and went on the hunt. Killed two bulls and had no issues.
    The only down side to hunting with a lense is a narrower field of view, however if you shoot with one eye closed you already giving that up so it’s a wash. However if like me you shoot with both eyes open you loose some FOV, however in many situations it’s good trade off considering the increased precision of the lense.

9. MUDSHARK

Dislikes Received:

I do shoot with one eye opened.
    They don’t make my site anymore. So I think I going to get a new site with a lens.