Hunting weather fronts

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by dfal, Oct 4, 2016.

1. dfal

dfal Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I know deer activity peaks before a storm and after a storm, and have been reading research on studies done but none of the articles say what is "before" and "after" the storm. After a storm I am assuming activity would peak right when it starts to let up.
    Before a storm on the other hand, would this be like a couple hours before or like 12+ hours before?
    Have any of you guys read much on this?

Thanks

2. head2toe camo

head2toe camo Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think the deer can sense changes in barometric pressure. Check out the weather websites like wunderground - they have plots of barometric pressure over time. After you look at this stuff for awhile, you get a feel for how it swings before a storm. The bigger the change and faster rate of change, the more severe the storm (typically). They know when to spend extra time feeding, head for cover, or get up and find food afterward.

3. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Todd has said on several BHOD shows that deer get up and move after a rain storm comes through. I have seen it as well. One day last year, the buck I am after showed himself the first time in daylight right after the rain stopped.

4. uncljohn

uncljohn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    there is a difference between just a common shower/rain vs low pressure gradient, either from a low pressure system or from a weather front. Deer can sense barometric pressure changes and will feed when they sense falling pressure. Of course, they'll also get up and feed after a storm or rain, but that's not a reaction to rising barometric pressure. That's just a reaction to the rain stopping.