Hunting thickets.

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Jake/PA, Oct 26, 2015.

1. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Let's hear your thoughts and experiences on hunting thickets. Success stories are welcomed.

Is there such a thing as "too thick"?

Do you fight your way into the area or sit up on the edge?

Do you hunt them all year or during a certain time?

Do you always key in on thick areas? If not, what factors rule them out?

Anything else you look for when looking over a thick area?

To paint the picture for my situation. I have a couple of public land spots in hill country that have thick areas ranging from 5-7 acres in size. Also have some private with a small area of 1-2 acres.

2. Jrob140

Jrob140 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm currently in the same position as you, I hunt a bluff and valley bottom with a pretty good sized creek running through the middle of the valley bottom, owned by my bestfriend who hunts with me. Across the creek is old fields that haven't been planted in 20 years leaving them absolutely covered in now 10ft or taller saplings. It is really thick. However thanks to google maps I realized there is a tree line separating the two thickets which makes a really nice funnel. I'm going to sit the permitter with the wind in my face hoping to catch a buck cruising the outer edge of the thicket checking for does. That side of the farm hasn't been hunted in a number of years so I've got really high hopes. I hope this helps and goodluck this year!

3. squidhunter

squidhunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I had sightings of 4 does and a buck 9 days ago, along a trail with good potential bedding areas and some buck droppings and one rub. I'll let you know if/when it produces! Tomorrow night if all goes well!

4. rybo

rybo Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've always hunting thickets. Edges & sometimes in them if there was a little more open area to shoot. Especially during the rut when bucks are cruising them looking for does. Even better if you have a little area between 2 good bedding areas, doesn't have to be a funnel in the typical sense, just be between the 2