Hunting swamps

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by bwebb2, Dec 20, 2012.

1. bwebb2

bwebb2 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Earlier this year during the peak of the rut I had 2 encounters with a giant chocolate colored 8 point that I nicknamed "swamp donkey." I'm hunting a hardwood ridge that runs through an extremely thick swamp. Unfortunately I never saw him any other times. I knew that he must live in the swamp so I've been hiking back into the thickest nastiest wettest terrain I've ever encountered. Today I finally believe I found his core area. I stumbled upon about 20 huge trees torn to shreds in the middle of the swamp. The problem is it's almost impossible to get to, and he has hundreds of acres to roam. I'm curious to hear how some of you guys like to hunt swamps. Any tips would be appreciated but I'll let you know that I haven't been seeing much sitting on the edges.

2. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    You need to look for buck beds. Any by the rubs? You may have found a staging area.

3. pick00l

pick00l Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This late in the season, I would just head back into the swamp and see if you get lucky. At a minimum, you can see what activity is back there. Personally I love to hun the edges of swamps and wait for the bucks to cross or walk the edges. In the bog woods of PA, you never know what is going to step out. I would not be concerned about spooking that buck. If you do, it might actually be the best thing! Good luck!

4. RackHunter

RackHunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    We own 80 acres of thick wet swamp in Northern Michigan. I have gone days without seeing a buck. Even when i know im in the right area do to sign and trail cam pics. The best advice i can give you at the moment is to be patient.

5. MNHUnter191

MNHUnter191 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    We Hunt alot of northern Minnesota especially in the bog regions, the willows become so thick and nasty its almost hard to see the guy next to you at times, the big deer we see and take are almost always found in the thick and nasty stuff when they are pressured maybe try hunting as close to the patch as you can without having major problems getting in. I would also try to be patient and try to hunt a good trail where he could be moving in and out.

6. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'd hunt that rubbing area, especially if it is close to a thicket. Nothing to lose.

7. Meathunter

Meathunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would try finding a slough or something that you can access the rub area by walking in through water using waders. It is normally easier going in that way and you dont put your scent on everything. I believe the rub area will be your best bet to get a chance at him, the hardest part will be getting to him.

8. BearBownsLegion

BearBownsLegion Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Agreed. If you can find a good rub line, hunt it. Also throw a tinks dripper up, itll make these buck come back during day time hours to freshen up there scrapes of they think another bucks been on them.