Hunting Show Calamity Thread

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by pick00l, Dec 5, 2020.

1. pick00l

pick00l Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would like to start a megathread about scenes in hunting shows that drive you nuts or you can not understand. The hope here is that eventually, sponsors and TV/Youtube hunters notice how dumb, funny, or wild the stuff they are doing is. Also and more important, maybe there are things that we point out which can help new hunters and not mislead them. Lastly, there are some things we watch on TV or the internet that we might not understand and by pointing it out here, we can discuss. This is not a rant thread but, I'm sure we will point many things out here that make us crazy.

Here is one and maybe we can use similar formats:

Channel: Sportsman
    Show: Whitetail Explorer
    Episode: Kansas Whitetail Heaven
    Time: Early in the show
    Situation: I did not see the actual shot however, host finds the arrow. Says they have given it 1.5 hours. Arrow looks great but we are just not finding a lot of blood. (Bow is in his sling which seems odd to me if you started your track job).
    • "This deer is just too good to take the chance in pushing him". Seriously, any deer, buck or doe you shoot should be good enough to do a proper wait period and tracking. Might mislead less experienced hunters into thinking.... it is only a small one so, I should treat it differently.
    • "We are going to go back and view the footage" - What did you do for the last 1.5 hours? You had no time to review the footage? I do not film hunts but, I know most cameras allow you to view videos on the fly. For those who film, what is your take?
    • Says he is likely coming back in a few hours....The next scene is the next day...This is where we left off last night when we did not go any further. We know there is a draw right here so, we are going to walk the draw, and hopefully, he is laying in there. (No mention of looking for blood or following a hard to find blood trail.)
    • This is the BIG kicker for me and I really need someone to explain how you can walk up to a deer that has been sitting overnight and the hunter can easily move the deer's neck like it was a fresh kill? I mean, no problem at all shifting his head toward the camera with no other legs moving. In warm weather do deer bodies stiffen up? Did he break its neck ahead of time? Has to be an easy explanation and trick of the trade here.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2020
  2. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    my main ***** is a dad sitting with his kid in an enclosed blind instructing the kids every move.
    Then the post kill recovery scene where the dad does the "blow by blow".
    Let the fricking kid speak!!

cantexian, Wop 75 and pick00l like this.
  3. Wop 75

Wop 75 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It always seems like they're down to the wire. and it's their last chance to fill their tag before they go home ! Yes in reality this does happen but on every hunt !!! And of course the buck they've been waiting for just magically appears and gives them a perfect shot at 20 yards!!

early in and pick00l like this.
  4. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    They are all the same with the same, music, B roll footage, whispering in the stand, etc all things that drive me nuts so I longer watch have not in years, I also do not buy hunting magazines anymore either.

cantexian and pick00l like this.
  5. Grouch

Grouch Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I can not remember 5the last hunting Show I have watched ! #Why waste time and money watching somebody else shoot deer ? go out and do it !!! Video screens, smart phones and the internet are not hunting, getting cold wet dirty and tired are healthy effects of hunting, Hey and maybe youll gain some knowledge

pick00l, Wop 75 and Sota like this.
  6. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I don't really care to watch people hunt or fish or fornicate, prefer to experience it myself rather than watching.

pick00l and Wop 75 like this.
  7. JFerg3

JFerg3 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    early in likes this.
  8. dprsdhunter

dprsdhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  9. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Mine is the crazy ridiculous excitement they have after letting a shot go. I mean we all get that bit of an adrenaline hit if nice antlers are involved, but 90% of them look so freaking stupid that my face turns red in embarrassment for them.

early in, Fix, Wop 75 and 1 other person like this.
  10. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I lost all respect and could no longer even listen to Luke Bryan after I watched him kill a monster. Don't get me wrong I understand for the first few reactions but wow he went full on batshit .

Mod-it and Wop 75 like this.
  11. 206moose

206moose Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    How many times do you hear “It’s a little back”. Stop acting like it’s a great shot when it’s clearly a gut shot. Why do you never see anyone not recover a deer. Show the bad with the good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pick00l and Wop 75 like this.
  12. Cannon06

Cannon06 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The product placement, bragging about how well a certain product worked. No real, genuine gear reviews. They are paid to promote everything they use. Weapon, ammo, clothing, equipment, etc. I can't stand watching a guy hunt from a $2,500 deer blind sitting comfy in 20 degree weather, trying to promote clothing to help keep me warm...preaching how these are the best "products" he has ever used.

Fix, early in, pick00l and 2 others like this.
  13. buzzard317

buzzard317 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Anything Lakosky.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

14. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Stan Potts really freaks out! lol I like the guy though, he really does love deer hunting.

Mod-it likes this.
  15. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

Wop 75, GregH and DarkTater like this.
  16. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What a jabroni

17. DarkTater

DarkTater Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    what you don't like watching rich guys on expensive ranches shooting huge bucks, then acting like it's the first time they've killed a deer? :lol: for me it's the same as football players celebrating after a touchdown these days. so I don't watch NFL games either...

cantexian, Wop 75, Fix and 2 others like this.
  18. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I will never forget the time when I let the arrow go on the biggest buck I ever shot. It rained that night no blood I went and looked based on cover. There is really no better feeling that shooting a buck with a bow that goes in a book the life time goal. Always wanted a big buck on the wall the day you finally do it is emotional, thing is most of us do it with no cameras.

Justin, cantexian, Wop 75 and 3 others like this.
  19. Cannon06

Cannon06 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

Maybe this product works, I have no idea...but it's funny to watch Kayser spray the $hit out of that aerosol can all over the place so "a deer will stop long enough to get a CLEAR shot." Like the idea of placing scent on the ground is some new innovation. This stuff kills me.

Wop 75 likes this.
  20. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received: