Hunting Pigs in the Southern Woods

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by Hunter Bob, Aug 21, 2017.

1. Hunter Bob

Hunter Bob Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I was surprised this weekend when I went on a favorite hiking trail in the mountains here in GA, when I saw signs of pig rooting almost everywhere. I know that the wild pig population has been increasing here, but was shocked to see how much activity there was directly on the walking trails and fire roads. This of course got me thinking about trying to do some hog hunting, which I have never done before. When in the thick woods, what are some good strategies for bowhunting these guys?

2. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've had success still hunting on the shady side of hills in hot weather. If there is a water source check for sign there. Often pigs get up and go right to water. They will make wallows along the edges of ponds.

3. randy3003

randy3003 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Light the fire and shoot straight

4. randy3003

randy3003 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Here in Florida we hunt the water holes in hot weather, while observing the trees for fresh mud from them scratching. Then Food sources in the early and late hours, however pigs will eat all day if they can do so undisturbed and the weather's cool enough. During the cooler months we use trail cams and try to pattern their movements between bed and food. Most hog hunting however is done in what ya all call your off months when other seasons are closed (summer), so with that in mind water and mud wallows are nearly as close to a sure thing as there is... after all they call it hunting not killing but if you hunt rite you may very well be killing. Good luck and if you're bow hunting them remember quartering away if possible, that shoulder blade is Damn hard.

5. george t

george t Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hi , where I live Boar are the main game animal. Always remember that they rely on there nose to stay alive. Ears and eyes are not bad either. Get off the ground if you can. Check the wind constantly. Keep activity in the area to a minimum. Pick a spot where you can feed them. Corn is recommended. Bury most of it and cover it with rocks. They will dig it out. Gives you more time to target them at half light. Last week I was out and I heard the boar checking the track to the high seats before they came in. Needless to say they never came in where there was fresh human scent. Identify there approach trail and set up along the route as an alternative. Shot placement is critical. They are very hard to kill. Study their anatomy. Heart is low and forward in the chest cavity. After the shot give them time to die. I use a dog for tracking wounded animals. Please remember , Boar can be very dangerous when wounded. I recommend a shotgun with solid slugs for follow up work. Good luck.

6. Hunter Bob

Hunter Bob Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks guys, I may try out some hog hunting in late season, since I have yet to down a deer this year. Appreciate the advice!

7. Lowcountry

Lowcountry Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Corn. (If legal)

Get down wind.