Hunting Journals

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Backcountry, May 22, 2014.

1. Backcountry

Backcountry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Who keeps them? I have been saying that I would start one for years and am just now getting around to it. I would like to keep the technical stuff (weather, temps, times) but would also like for it to be somewhat like a story. Now that my wife and I have been discussing kids I would like to have something to pass on in both digital and hand written formats.

I bought a "write in the rain" notepad but would like something more formal. Does anyone have any links for some purpose built hunting journals?

2. MichiHunter

MichiHunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Why don't you do it in some sort of blog?

I understand the need for something to write on while you're in the back country, but I'd recommend putting it all into blog form once you're back home. Simple Blogs are easy to deal with, and can be a lot of fun. Even if you don't have any "web" experience.

That way, you're never going to lose it. It'll be there not only for your kids, but there kids. Fully intact and easily readable.

But yes, I understand where you're going with it. You want something that you can write things down, and thoughts, while you're in the field.

If you want to do the blog, you've got my contact info. Shoot me an email, and I can help you out if needed. More than happy to help you out, as much as you've helped me with my trip.

3. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    I've kept them since 2008. I started off with a very informal journal in word just documenting what I saw, the direction of travel of the deer, the weather, etc., Then I switched to a more thorough excel file based on something similar that Fitz uses.

[​IMG]

4. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I love the combination of my Excel sheet and my Journal Thread. I wasted and hour last week reading through pars of last years again.

The idea of something handwritten is neat though.

5. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have always wanted to start one but never could figure out a layout.

Do you write all this in a notebook then transfer it over when you get home? And what app or weather site do you use for this?

6. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I enter all the info in when I get in. Since I post to my journal from the stand, I can use the timestamp of my posts to help me with times. I could just as easily jot it down in a notebook.

NOAA's website gives 15 min intervals for weather. That's what I use.

7. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    I used to use Scoutlook in the field to log sightings to transfer over when I got back, but I get spotty 4G when I'm hunting, plus I hate fumbling with things like that in the field. I just want to hunt. I just note the time I enter/exit, general wind direction, and of course I can remember the sightings (I also look at my time when I see deer and make a mental note).

Then that evening or afternoon when I get back, I log the information. I use NOAA and WUnderground as my two comparison for data (moon phase you can easily look up anywhere). NOAA gives you hour by hour DETAILED info. Everything from windspeed/direction, to barometric pressure.

8. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    While tedious at times, I love having 5 years of data entered and 4 years of journals to go through. I can glean some pretty neat info from it now, and relive my hunts whenever I please :tu:

9. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have been talking about doing one for years but I have never thought outside of pen and paper....I am totally interested BC ...if you have a way to do it via smartphone, please share

10. bowhunter448

bowhunter448 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I am starting this year. I'd like to have a great book of notes on when and where to go by the time the kiddos get old enough to hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. ultramax

ultramax Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I keep one for. Crop rotation vs deer sighting for each pc of ground, really works well in farm country.

12. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've kept a journal for years. I've hunted a lot of public land over the years and a journal is a must. I plan on passing this heirloom onto my kids if they become die hard hunters when the time is right!

13. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I keep an Excel spreadsheet with temperature, wind, moon phase, what I saw, time of sighting, and location of sighting. If I'm hunting I note if I took a shot and the result. What's sad is the Excel spreadsheet for my deer journal is better than the one for the household budget :lol: .

14. No.6Hunter

No.6Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have been using one for about 2 years now. I use it for fishing and Hunting so I have been able to write down a lot of my thoughts and ideas as well as all other information i have learned from others. Sectioned mine out for individual days on the water or in the woods, typical wind, Temps, and sky cover notes.

15. Jake/PA

Jake/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I like the idea of all the stats and then adding a paragraph about that day's hunt. Especially hunts that I travel for. It's easy to picture whitetail hunting when you live in whitetail country. It's another thing to imagine an elk bugling or stalking a huge mule deer when you're living in PA.

You never know what will happen or what you will forget once a couple of years go by. There's also a chance that one day my kids will get into hunting by reading those journals, so it seems like a no brainer.

16. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Part of the reason I started my "Outdoors thread" so early.

I like to journal everything I do throughout the year - I will eventually use Excel to document the specifics.

I REALLY like the layout of your excel journal MGH.

17. SPOTnSTALK

SPOTnSTALK Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Mostly photo files of independent hunts along with base camp. Pin pricks with Google earth and onXmaps overlay.

Pictures are worth a thousand words and will jog the memory. For me there is little consistency with my game. The landscape, competition, weather patterns, and external factors are continually revolving.

Last edited: May 23, 2014
  18. SPOTnSTALK

SPOTnSTALK Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would add this:
    If a guy hunts an exclusive area and utilizes trail cams a documented journal may prove beneficial.

Off topic but I did keep stock journals on bucking horses back then. Muleys, Coues, Whitetails, ELK, and Turkeys (my targeted game species) seem to effectively rock the boat.

19. Backcountry

Backcountry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have been just writing everything, though I plan to also have a digital backup saved to the computer that I will update regularly. As sappy as it may be, I enjoy the nostalgic part of relaxing and documenting stuff in the field. Helps pass the time while glassing for bears.

I have an awful memory and writing stuff down does help me commit stuff to the brain better. Really, I think this will help me slow down and plan my hunts out more deliberately.

20. Jimmany

Jimmany Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I started keeping notes during the last weeks of season, and I am definitely going to be keeping notes this season.