Hunting industry becoming insincere?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Shane0709, May 30, 2019.

1. RedBeardNP

RedBeardNP Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    +1 for The Hunting Public

I had no upbringing in hunting and I have learned more since finding those guys than I did in the last couple seasons combined

HardLuckLarry likes this.
  2. HardLuckLarry

HardLuckLarry Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I know exactly what you mean! I've seen the THP guys:
    1) change tactics when conditions merit it
    2) team up with other public land hunters not related to THP
    3) shoot a nice buck that died just a few feet across the line in private property, so they waited until morning to ask permission of the land owner to get the deer
    3) ask permission to cross a piece of private property in order to get to public property
    4) crawl on the ground across several hundred feet just to have an opportunity to shoot a buck
    5) fail to get a deer several times, but always cheerful and positive about it
    6) talk about bedding, food areas, lanes of travel, scrapes, rubs, scent control, terrain, behavioral changes, etc. during different times of the year
    7) act like young kids getting their first deer every time they shoot one

All kinds of useful tips, ideas and adventures that have taught me more about hunting and the ethics involved than anything else. Just awesome!

RedBeardNP likes this.
  3. RedBeardNP

RedBeardNP Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    To the point of the thread as a whole though, if the marketing didn't work we wouldn't see as much of it. Besides, has to be considered too that there are a lot of hunters that don't have their own plots to hunt. A lot of them may have to go long distances for good hunting, or pay thousands of dollars for a lease, or sit a highly pressured piece of suburban public. For those guys, it is easier to get sucked in to buying the latest gear if you think it may increase your odds of success when time in the field is limited.

4. BuckHunterUnlimited

BuckHunterUnlimited Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I agree here with WillO. Shane0709: All of what you just mentioned is from TV shows, youtube, experience hunter knowledge, etc. None of it cost you a dime, only time and with DVRs and fast forward Youtube you still get your time back. On the other hand the state of the art bows and arrows we use are rich in research and development dollars mostly never recognized in sales. Advertisements and influence is how we get better equipment for better accuracy and better humane harvests. There is the problem of ethics, that is our job to call them out as hunters either with our pocketbooks or voice, and if necessary legislation. Thanks for bringing the subject here and happy hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

5. NMGuy

NMGuy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You’ve got to understand that these companies don’t stay afloat by doing warranty work.

They stay in business selling new bows and equipment.

These “professional hunters” are paid spokespersons or “salesmen” to be precise.

They’re in a symbiotic relationship. Companies need to sell equipment. These salesmen need to make a living as well. You WANT to hunt.

If you don’t want to buy something, don’t.

But they will continue to release new products every year, often slightly better than last years products. That way they can stay relevant and make money. They have families and dogs to feed as well.

I own and work a business in manufacture. Believe me. I know. We have to advertise.

6. HardLuckLarry

HardLuckLarry Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The Hunting Public did a video on how to make money doing hunting videos, demonstrating how they have done well without all the advertiser hype (the commercial-with-a-smattering-of-hunting model). They talked about showing their actual hunting experiences instead of pushing product. People are drawn to this hunter-oriented model instead of the product-oriented model because of this. I begrudge no company selling their products, but I won't waste my time watching these commercials when there is better content available, you know, content where I actually learn something beyond "buy this awesome hunting product NOW because you are likely to fail otherwise!" I have actually looked into purchasing from THP's sponsors, unlike these other shows' sponsors. No thanks to "all hat, no cattle" deermercials!

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019