Hunting in Va

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Sfsapper, Apr 4, 2017.

1. Sfsapper

Sfsapper Newb

Dislikes Received:
    So this being my first time bow hunting and my season hunting in Virginia, and my first time hunting since I was 18 years old which was new jersey I may need some help in this area. Or I may just have to travel.

But I was just wondering if anyone here is from Virginia and could you help me and my son find some good spots for beginners to start us out.

Thank you

2. Adam Dillabough

Adam Dillabough Newb

Dislikes Received:
    What area of Virginia are you in? I'm out of norfolk. And I haven't hunted yet but I've scouted the cavalier tracts a couple of times. Seen lots of tracks and heard some turkey not too far off the roads.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

3. Sfsapper

Sfsapper Newb

Dislikes Received:
    We are in chesapeake, My son lives in hanover part time and here in chesapeake with me part time. I have thought about reserving a day in state park or forest but again no knowledge of Va hunting or bow hunting.

4. sheddinva

sheddinva Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You can probably start at the state park if they have a ranger's station and talk to them some about where and when you can hunt. I doubt you can hunt in the state park but if it has a state forest around it you can most likely hunt that. I am in the Roanoke area and there are plenty of public areas with access to National Forests but it may be different where you are. Below is the link to the VA hunting regulations in case you hadn't seen it.

https://www.dgif.virginia.gov/

5. Captn Kirk

Captn Kirk Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hi I am over in Fredericksbug any of the military bases have hunting programs you will need the bow hunter safety course and most have a qualifying target shoot they also have target ranges. The course put on at Ft Belvoir was well done. Check the VA bow clubs Va also has a lot of game lands listed on the website