Hunting in the rain

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by AdamSean, Oct 26, 2015.

1. AdamSean

AdamSean Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have hunted in the rain before, but I always used a gun. But since its bow season, I'm using my bow. My question is this: will the rain dramatically affect my arrow trajectory? My shots are all under 30 yards.

2. Walbash

Walbash Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    nah' but could make tracking alot harder.

depending on how hard rain is may not be much of a blood trail if any

3. TnRidgeRunner

TnRidgeRunner Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I will say that in 40 years of hunting in all kinds of weather, I've never killed a buck in the rain, though I've never let rain stop me from hunting. And though I love hunting (and fishing) on a gray day, 90% of my bucks have been killed on blue-sky days. It's the opposite of fishing to me. I know the fishing is better on days with low or falling barometric pressure, and I've heard that deer hunting is better on days with high and/or rising pressure, not sure if there's anything to this. All I have is decades of personal experience to go on, yet I'll still hunt on rainy days if I get a chance because that's what I do. I will say that I missed a wallhanger last year in muzzleloader during a steady rain (I bumped my scope the night before lowering it from the tree and shot two-feet low), but that was rut, he was chasing a doe, and of course all bets are off. Walbash is correct about it making it harder to track, but rain also keeps your sound and scent down. And the deer's sound.

4. Smoke

Smoke Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    hunt in the rain all the time... got plenty of deer in the rain... never had a problem with arrow flight... only problem I had was drop of rain water on the pin I needed to use for the shot made the pin look the size of a quarter... short blow of air to clear the pin spooked the deer...

5. AdamSean

AdamSean Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Good thing is I'll be in a ground blind so I will be dry. Anx I have read early season bucks are largely seen in a light rain so I am optimistic.

6. in da woods

in da woods Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    nah, it'd have to be a torrential down pour, but then I 'd have to ask about your sanity sitting out in a downpour when the deer are bedded down.