Hunting in the rain and tree stands

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by newbie2012, Nov 20, 2013.

1. newbie2012

newbie2012 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Two questions, first can I set up a stand on Thursday and hunt on Friday? Or is that too soon. Second question, what do you think about hunting in the rain? Have you done it?

2. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yes too both. Plenty of us hang a stand and hunt out of right then. You will also find that some of your best sits are the first sit in a newly hung stand.

3. grnhd

grnhd Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yes to the first, HELL NO to the second.

4. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    I move like a pin ball machine during the season and sometimes rehang during a move! Its really no different than setting up a climber each time in! Hunting in the rain! I do it all the time, use a tree umbrella, but pick your shots wisely take only good ones! Your dealing with rain and blood, not a good mix!

5. englum_06

englum_06 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    What crick said. I hang a set pretty much everytime I hunt. I will hunt the rain but I'm extremely picky on my shot selection.

6. Eponine22

Eponine22 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I enjoyed reading this post. I congratulate you for the terrific job you've made. Great stuff, just simply amazing!

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  7. selfbros

selfbros Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Just take note of where you put the stand. I would try to avoid setting it up directly on a trail. Try and move it back if possible. The deer will notice it regardless but if you set it on the trail they could avoid it. Hanging a stand the day before is not a bad idea. One reason is the majority of the deer that will pass by it will be in the dark. So they could miss it. Now hanging a stand in the rain is the best gimme period. Reason being, your going to disturb the area regardless. But with the rain you less likely to leave your scent behind. While checking cameras through the year I try and plan it the day of or before rain. My prospective is tai. Gives an area a fresh start.

I've killed deer in the rain before. Mostly bucks. When the rut is in full swing they don't follow the weather out side their groin area. It's just not as productive as the does normally sit it out. And If the does are sitting there's a good chance a buck or two will sit with them.

To me it's 50/50, but I think huntings better with no rain or just after.

I started work yesterday at 8 and just got home. I was driving through some heavy deer populated areas and didn't see a one. I hope that's not telling me to just go to bed.
    Good luck and keep posted on your findings from hunting in the rain. I'll try to do the same.

8. Marauder

Marauder Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah being mobile is actually a good thing if you're good at it by keeping down your noise and scent. If you're noisy as crap it can ruin opportunities (possibly), and your scent is a huge thing so take caution to that. And with the rain I have hunted in it. I have seen deer in mist, and light rain but never a steady down pore so with rain I would make a judgement call. If it's the right time of the year and you must be in the stand don't let a little rain stop you. But as mentioned blood and water don't mix. It's a pain tracking in the rain. :tu:

9. jvanhees

jvanhees Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yes and Yes. I second the tree stand umbrella.

10. joot

joot Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hunting in the rain is no fun at all, unless you have an umbrella above you. Because once you get wet, you're chilled to the bone...

11. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I agree. Also, a lot of big bucks move during a cold light rain and drizzle. My best friend got me doing that years ago and it has produced for me over the years.

12. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I scout and move stands mostly during the rain. I hunt in a light on and off rain but never in a set in downpour. The hunting can be really good right after a rain though.