Hunting/Hiking Boots

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by jonderrs7, Dec 1, 2019.

1. jonderrs7

jonderrs7 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am looking for a nice pair of hunting/hiking boots for hunting out west in CO. I have been looking at the Danner Pronghorns. anyone know how these fit or have ever used them?

Suggestions on other boots you have used? anything helps!

2. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My son was given advice, surprisingly, by a sales associate in a major sporting good store. Buy boots that can have the soles replaced. Our local shoe repair guy was surprised when I told the story to him. He has guys come in with $200 boots. He tells them they can't be repaired as the sole is molded on at the factory. With this in mind, my son started wearing Danner boots about 20+ years ago. He is on his feet on concrete floors at work and loves his Danner boots. I also have Danner boots.

jonderrs7 likes this.
  3. Bgoes41

Bgoes41 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    +1
    [​IMG]

4. mhouck06

mhouck06 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I’ve had the pronghorns for 3 seasons now. They are by all means one of the best pairs of boots I’ve ever owned. Recently I started planning for a trip out west. I had a guide recommend a pair of meindls. I took the plunge and I don’t think I’ll ever look back. I also looked at kenetreks and Crispis. I took my pronghorns to Ohio this year because they are my only pair of insulated boots... I missed by meindls the whole time! Unless it’s below freezing I’m always in my meindls. That says a lot because I do think the pronghorns are great boots.

jonderrs7 likes this.
  5. Jeremy/PA

Jeremy/PA Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm looking for a new pair of boots myself and these look nice. If you have the ones with insulation, what gram do you have? Also, do you use them in and out of season? (ie on the stand but also summer scouting) to warm for that?

I kinda want a do it all boot, don't know if I can get that though.

6. mflora98ss

mflora98ss Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Scarpa Kinesis PRO GTX is a good pair to check out. Crispi, Kenetrek, Lowa, and Scarpa are a few good quality hiking/hunting boots to check out.

There is a HUGE difference between a $200 pair of boots and a $400 pair. When I was younger I would buy the cheaper boots and have to replace them every year and putting a ton of miles on them as a land surveyor. Now that I know better I get the higher quality boots and only have to replace them every 3 or 4 years.

jonderrs7 likes this.
  7. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I used pronghorns (400s) about 4 years ago when I started bowhunting CO elk. Comfy boot for my earlier season stand hunts, what I had and could afford at the time. I thought I'd like the ankle support, but didn't suit me as well in Colorado. The toe box was a bit loose, so downhill my foot would slide just enough to put wear on my toes and enough to help with blisters on the heels. Also, with a lot of climbing up/down hill, the higher ankle support worked a bit against me.

I went with a lower and lighter hiking boot (Solomon ultra 3 gtx). I pair it with gaiters when it's wet and decent wool socks (like Darntough).

I also proactively apply Leukotape to heels and toes and have no issues.

If I were hunting sheep or goats I'd consider looking more at stiffer mountaineering boots. Similarly, probably not my boot choice for game in wetter habitat like moose or caribou...

Ymmv.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
    michaelmicky, Oldcarp and jonderrs7 like this.
  8. IAFarmboy

IAFarmboy Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Love my Danners when I was in the Marine Corps and agree with all the positive comments above. I too have had my Danner pronghorns resoled and they are going strong. If you are buying on-line without trying a pair on in the store I would go a half to full size larger.

jonderrs7 likes this.
  9. MattFromVT

MattFromVT Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I wear Irish Setter Wingshooters and love them. After two ankle surgeries I wear upland hunting boots for pretty much everything.

10. Oldcarp

Oldcarp Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:

11. michaelmicky

michaelmicky Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you for posting this. First hand experience is always more than welcome to read. :)

Wingshooters, Solomon and Danners are my go-to choices anyday anytime.

12. jstephens61

jstephens61 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Like my Pronghorns, but they won’t be waterproof after about 3-4 years. Love my Kenetreks for cold weather. Got a pair of Irish Setter Elk Hunter last year and so far been very happy with them. All 3 pairs have their time and place.

jonderrs7 likes this.
  13. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Uhggg...buying good WATERPROOF hikers, It's terrible. I find a pair I like then the next gives me blisters. Find a pair I love and they discontinue the style..ect..ect
    I've had great Irish setters, timberland, merrell's, keen, soloman. Also sizes varie greatly. They all have good andbad styles dependent...on my feet.

14. JStarr

JStarr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've hot a set of Salomon Quest 4d 3GTX and they are hands down the best boots for hunting/hiking I've ever owned.