Hunting from natural ground blinds questions

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Don't Poke the Bear, Oct 24, 2012.

1. Don't Poke the Bear

Don't Poke the Bear Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I may be acquiring a couple new properties this week to hunt. One 30 acre property, and one very large farm (not sure of the acreage yet, both properties are very promising for me to get permission). I plan on hunting from a natural ground blind in both locations. I've built plenty in the past for turkey and duck season, but I've never done it for deer hunting. My questions are: how long before I plan to hunt the property do I build the blind? Should I build more than one on each property to anticipate changing wind directions for different days? If I maximize my scent control before walking into the woods, can hunting from a blind be as affective as hunting from a stand? If any of you guys have had success in the past with natural ground blinds, any advice would be a huge help!

2. bwebb2

bwebb2 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have had a lot of success hunting from natural ground blinds. I mostly use a ghillie suit now, but it is not necessary. It is ok to set up the day you will be hunting, but often it's more effective if you do it in advance so that you can find the best setup. Definitely build more than one for different wind directions. I don't think scent travels as far from the ground as in a tree stand, but the deer in the immediate vicinity are more likely to pin you if the wind is wrong. One of my favorites setups is in a lay down. It offers plenty of cover to break up your outline. Also don't be afraid to get way up in the thick stuff. I often have one shooting lane and leave the other branches around me for cover. Good luck!

3. Don't Poke the Bear

Don't Poke the Bear Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks dude. I should be in there this week sometime to scout out the areas and start building. I don't plan on hunting them for another week and a half, so hopefully all my scent will be washed away by the rain we're supposed to have. I appreciate your advice!

4. JoshD

JoshD Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I agree, had a lot of success with them. Ghillie suits seem to help a lot.

5. ruck139

ruck139 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I much prefer to get into super thick cover such as a fallen tree, cattails, sticker bushes, ect. and clear shooting lanes out of the cover, as opposed to having to "build a blind" which often sticks out like a sore thumb. Draw your bow before the deer reaches your shooting lane though, as deer spot movement on the ground much quicker than if you were in a tree.