hunting corporations blah

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by huntalivesh23, Jan 20, 2016.

1. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The one that cracks me up is Outdoor Channel and Sportsman are owned by the same mothership...

2. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    And hurricane, black hole, sure loc, block, Glen del, IQ....

Feradyne has quite a reach.

3. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    lol yup don't forget Tru-fire... If I remember correctly Shockey acquired Feradyne which then acquired Field Logic... If I am not mistaken :)

Last edited: Jan 21, 2016
  4. Cooter/MN

Cooter/MN Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Why would anyone expect the hunting equipment industry to be any different than the rest of corporate America?

5. Fezzik

Fezzik Newb

Dislikes Received:

This! Every entrepreneur should always have an exit strategy in mind

6. Boxerboxer

Boxerboxer Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I get why people have exit strategies and I don't begrudge them the money they earn selling an idea they started, but I also would like to spend my money with someone who is putting their heart into it and not putting much though into exit strategy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's why I frequently buy and the try the "newest, greatest, best thing to hit the market!"

8. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I think he has a seat on the board and an (undisclosed) interest, but Feradyne is majority owned by a NYC investment group.

9. tacklebox

Dislikes Received:
    Actually I believe he has a larger investment in the company than you might think. I'll have to look around for the article I read last year but It made it sound like he held majority shares???

10. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    This article is probably at the other end of the spectrum...reality is probably in the middle...lol

Snow Phipps | News

11. tacklebox

Dislikes Received:
  12. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Even your link references the same group so I assume these articles were within days of each other.

Hey I wish then both the best. I've not seen big changes in price or quality from their brands over the past few years let alone since I first bought any of these brands...Let's see I think I bought my first Muzzys early 80s...

I guess the only thing that changes for me are my odds of running into Shockey in the Atlanta airport or LaGuardia are higher than before 2014...

13. tacklebox

Dislikes Received:
    Yep. I thinks it cool that he wants to take on an active role in the company whose products he is using / promoting. I would imagine he could have any company he wants writing him checks to use their goods.

14. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I think Shockey has been around long enough to learn and know were the real money is at.

15. tacklebox

Dislikes Received:
    Lol yes .... No doubt

16. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think these cases are easy to generalize and say it's sucks for the consumer and products and services go down hill. And in many cases that the true, the corporate profit at all cost mind set runs things into the ground and takes profits till its time to dump and run. However that isn't true in all cases. For example take a look at the outdoor group, one can argue that the companies owned in that group have gotten better and more innovated since their acquisitions.
    It's worth it to look at things both individually and possible Industry trend and then make a decision on its soundness.

17. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Trial 100% correct but sadly the youth of bowhunting and deer hunting in general are far to influenced by what they watch a hunter use on TV or in a magazine.

18. Freelance Bowhunter

Freelance Bowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You might want to look up fascism in the dictionary.

What is happening in hunting right now is what happened in fishing for the last three decades. The hunting industry is just a couple decades behind. Some larger companies are trying to gobble up as many small companies as possible in order to positon themselves to have market control. When you have enough clout and money to buy up your competitors, then you have control of the market and the customer to a large degree.

It's just the way things work. However, I am always encouraged to see that there are some startups at the ATA show every year, and some of them have some pretty cool ideas. I always hope they get some traction and make some money. After all, what normally happens with these startups is that they start to make good money, then some big corporation offers them a buyout and they take it because it is more money than they have ever seen on one place at one time before. It's the way the world works.

19. kb1785

kb1785 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I don't begrudge a company from the expectation of making a profit on the goods and services they provide. The beauty of capitalism is that the marketplace ultimately decides the winners or losers. If a company makes a good product and provides good service then the market place will reward them with business. If they do not then eventually they lose their business and the old adage of "business is what if you don't have you go out of" applies. Entrepreuners typically do not make a tremendous amount of money manufacturing and selling their "idea" or "product". Their payoff, relatively speaking, comes when a larger entity comes along and sees an opportunity for a return on investment by buying their business. The system itself is not flawed because we as the consumer have the ultimate power with the dollars that we have to spend. Those companies cannot exist if they can't seperate us from those dollars. If they make a poor product it will eventually be outed, especially so in todays electronic age and the consumer will quit spending money and that product will cease to be put out in the market place. When that happens market share and business then flows to products that meet the consumers needs and requirements. A free and open market place has a way of rewarding the proper products when appropriate competition exists.

20. Westfinger

Westfinger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Some of you guys get what it means to many to be an entrepreneur. What drives many is the development of an idea or product into a money maker. Selling your product or company to a bigger company for big profit is the ultimate end point. Running a company is a job. A job is boring and why one becomes an entrepreneur in the first place.