hunting corn fields

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by ArcheryAddict21, Dec 18, 2013.

1. ArcheryAddict21

ArcheryAddict21 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys I just got permission to a big farm for late season and it has 95 acres of standing corn on it which is why i chose it since it has food but i realized its going to be a big problem. Theres lots of track right along the edges of the corn but I havent checked my trail cam yet to see if anything is in daylight. Anyone have any tactics for hunting standing corn? like will deer get up in the middle of the day to move or do they pretty much lock down being that its late in the year and they have been highly pressured so long?

Thanks guys

2. POWERHAWK_11

POWERHAWK_11 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Deer usually don't like to move early in the morning during the late season because of how cold it is. Deer will begin to move mid morning and throughout the day. If you are hunting corn they should move throughout the game. When hunting corn look for main trails in and out of the corn. I would find a corner of the field with the most main trails into/out of the corn and sit in that corn. Also cameras don't lie if a shooter is using a certain trail then by all means hunt that trail. Hope this helps a bit.

3. deerslayer58

deerslayer58 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just what Powerhawk said hunt the corners and heaviest used trails along and into the corn. Then you should be set up pretty good. Good luck!

4. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Also agree with Powerhawk, I do about the same. Another thing that onenof my buddies has luck with is to go out into corn and knock down a good section where some of the trails are goin and set up a ground blind. You'd haveta brush the blind in but this can be done with some of the stalks. He has pretty good luck because the deer will come in to feed and feel more secure than on the edges.

I guess this only works if your allowed to do it but might be another option.

5. Bowhunter29

Bowhunter29 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ya that is the best tactics we have had with hunting corn field edges. We hunt the corners. What we have also found is the bucks like to lay in the corn as well so I wouldn't really recommend walking the corn edge unless you know for sure nothing is bedding in there. Our camera that is in the corner of the field is where all the mature bucks come from.

6. ArcheryAddict21

ArcheryAddict21 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    yeah my buddy and I are setting up a double stand for filming and hunting and ill be brushing in a ground blind by a big access point along the edge. Thanks guys, hopefully well be able to put something on the ground!

7. POWERHAWK_11

POWERHAWK_11 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Can't wait to see the pics.

8. Jimmany

Jimmany Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have been hunting a corn field this season and I havent seen any deer go into the middle of the field to eat. But I noticed that they like to stay along the edges. I hope this would help you. Good Luck! Bag a big one!

9. Rightwing

Rightwing Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I like to hunt the perimeter trail that can be found parallel with the length of the cornfield (usually 20-30 yards inside the woods). If the deer are getting to late to shoot during legal light, just move back on the trail closer to the bedding/staging areas.

10. ultramax

ultramax Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The corn is the bedding if it's standing,I seen some of my biggest bucks coming out of the corn at dark entering the river bed for a drink before moving into the wood lot at dark I can only think it works like this because of heavy hunting around my place
    This season my beans were chest high, I had a huge buck living it until it was cut he was a ghost using the beans like that there was no way to get close to him. I love the smart ones

Last edited: Dec 28, 2013