Hunting Climbing Stick Modification - Higher, Faster, Lighter! .

Discussion in 'DIY Archery & Hunting Projects' started by bloodcrick, Apr 9, 2014.

1. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    You can thank soilhunter for this tid bit. He sent me this link! very neat Idea and im defenently going to try it!

[video=youtube_share;pPU6UtQHNbc]http://youtu.be/pPU6UtQHNbc[/video]

2. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    That is awesome!

3. ultramax

ultramax Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You must of not watched the video far enough, the kid says you can put alum arrow under the step to make it stiff but he had not tried it yet.... Why not buy another section and be money ahead and maybe alive to enjoy hunting.
    I see many guys leave there stands and sticks on trees all year and never change out the straps.these things rot and animals seem to love to chew them. We need to think how to hunt safer because some of us only fall once. Rant over

4. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    in a perfect world buying another section is ideal, but the whole purpose of the LW combo is to be extremely mobile and lightweight. this is a perfect way to gain a few extra feet of elevation for very little money, no additional weigh, and from my personal experience it does work great!

5. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    Ok, yes safety is first and formost. You have to use your head on these things and yes I have watched whole video. I cannot control the people that never change out straps and do unsafe acts. This is meant for bottom step only just to save from carrying another stick. Some of my packs are pretty far in and this would save me some weight and time from using another bottom stick. The aluminum arrow he refered to was just to make step stay open for ease of foot placement. I guess you could also tell people to not buy stands with straps because they might leave them out to rot and for animal chew toys. People make decisions, its just ashame alot make some unwise choices.
    Rant taken, rant over!

6. charness0001

charness0001 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Even in the video his foot got caught up a bit and in the dark that could spell disaster and he was wearing flat bottom tennis shoes as compard to deep treaded boots. one wrong step climbing a tresstand whether its 5 or 20 feet could mean a trip to the hospital.

7. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Maybe it's just me but I don't see the real benefit of that extra 2 feet for the trouble of making those slings and then trying to use them safely. I can't say I've ever been busted in my stand because I was 14 ft rather than 16 ft. Nor it is really that much trouble to carry 1 extra stick which only weighs 2.5 lbs.

Neat idea, but it's definitely not for me.

8. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I do not see how they are not safe if it's being used on the bottom stick, unless you can't tie a knot? :p

I guess i agree to disagree! :D

Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
  9. coheley665

coheley665 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Key words Bottom stick so if something does go wrong your at most 4-5ft off the ground. Pretty neat idea might have to give it a try.

10. grnhd

grnhd Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I tried it and didn't care for it for a number of reasons. I couldn't get my foot in it as easy coming down the tree as I could going up, hard to get a big pair of boots in and they seemed to tangle up in everything are just a couple off the top of my head. To each his own but I would just as soon carry an extra stick.

11. Lastoneout

Lastoneout Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I always place my first stick at about my belly button and use the tree / upper body to hoist myself up. Just more stuff to get tangled up here IMO

12. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It's an idea but not sure how easy it would be getting your foot in those things to climb down. Even in the video it showed him skipping the strap and just stepping on the ground and he looks pretty tall. Good way to pull something. IMO

I own 6 sticks and will carry 5 usually.

13. Jimmany

Jimmany Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Nifty idea