Hunting Camera Packs

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by stevietangles, Apr 11, 2013.

1. stevietangles

stevietangles Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hello everyone

I am running into a problem finding a good over the shoulder pack that will hold my camera equipment, tree arm or tripod, rattle bag, small snacks, a drink, knife, gps, flashlights, batteries, toque, gloves, phone, mic.....
    the list goes on.
    the reason i am looking for an over the shoulder bag is so i can drag a climber or hang on stand in the bush.

the cameras are a XA10, HG20 and gopro.

Im debating buying the Cinebag CB30 in digital camo. its a little on the big side but i like that i can fit the tree arm base inside with my cameras. all i would need to do is have two buckle straps sewn on to attach the arm with fluid head.

what you some of you guys use?

what do you recommend?

2. Dubbya

Dubbya Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Personally, I use my regular Badlands 2200 and load it up with all my stuff and then clip the straps through the stand platform and suck them down. This way, everything goes in on my back except my bow.

I've used the Tenzing over the shoulder pack but it's barely big enough for my AX200, let alone mics and tree arm.

3. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    First off, carrying camera gear with a camera arm AND a stand absolutely sucks. As someone who has done it plenty of times, I can tell you it's about one of my least favorite things to do. So believe me, I feel your pain!

As for a pack, I've been using my Blacks Creek 3:16 lumbar fanny pack along with a Gray Wolf Woolens "Cam-Tector" the past couple seasons with good results. I keep all of my hunting gear in the BC pack along with a few extra batteries. Then I lash my camera arm (been using the old style Muddy Outfitter arm) to the top of the pack. Because the BC pack has a big "flap" that covers the entire pack I can separate the base from the arm to keep them from clanking around too much. So the arm itself goes under the "flap" and the base is lashed on top of that.

I then keep my camera (Sony AX2000) in the GWW pack, along with the mics and misc gear I need. So for packing in I put the BC pack on first, which goes over my shoulders and fastens around my waist and chest. I then sling the GWW pack around my neck, and then throw my Lone Wolf stand w/sticks on top of everything. The camera rests more on my side to the stand isn't banging into it, and as long as you keep the straps on the stand loose enough it fits no problem.

4. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Very interesting topic. Even with our small camera equipment, i have learned to HATE lugging it around. It gets easier as time goes by like anything else, but the first few hunts feel so cumbersome, awkward and sweaty. Im used to going very lightweight. Watching this closely.

5. Grahambo

Grahambo Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    As close to Illinois while still in the Hoosier St
    Badlands tree stand pack

6. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I put my backpack on backwards with it hanging in front of my then put my hangon on my back. Really works great because it balances the weight forward and back on you. Then I carry I'm bow in my hand and the other hand if free for a flash light or cutters.

I light the keys back packs and badlands when I'm staying out longer.

7. stevietangles

stevietangles Newb

Dislikes Received:
    thanks for the responses. i pulled the trigger and ordered the camera bag from Campbells camera made by Badlands.
    ill see how it will work.
    70% of the time im hunting out of pre hung sets and the remainder of the time im packing in my climber or hang on.
    i hope there are enough compression straps on the pack that i can strap it to the stand on my back.

ill let you guys know what i think of the bag once i get it.
    thanks

8. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That starts getting a lot of weight on your back but good luck. They make great packs.

9. stevietangles

stevietangles Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Well i got the bag today and have to say im a little disapointed.
    the quality is top notch as to be expected with BADLANDS but i dont know how they can call it a camera bag.
    there is one little compartment at the top of the bag that barely holds my Canon HG20, it has 2 little straps.
    the rest of the bag is an open chamber with one strap inside that sits in the middle.

Needless to say tomorrow ill be heading out to my seamstress to see if she can construct a padded divider system to seperate and protect my XA10 from the rest of the pack.

for 300 bucks it should come equiped as a camera bag not a pack.

10. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've struggle with this for months. I finally ended up with two options. I picked up this clearance Redhead pack at Bass Pro and can actually pack everything in it pretty well, it's just kinda difficult getting everything out. I also picked up an Eberlestock Tred Barta Edition backpack on ebay(it's similar to their Halftrack pack). I like it because it has a barn door opening which makes getting the camera in and out pretty easy, but it's just a little too narrow for my Canon XHA1S. I don't have any pictures of it all packed up, but here are some of the Redhead pack.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Looks good man. Sweet clock in the back too. :tu:

12. stevietangles

stevietangles Newb

Dislikes Received:
    for anyone interested in a real camera bag check out a company called F-Stop camera bags. when i can afford to buy a new bag ill grab there Loka bag with a couple of there ICU compartments
    thanks for the pics Oly i picked up a padded sleeve that fits the main chamber nicely and holds my camera with mic attached for 25 bucks. it will have to do for know.