Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Hunting Bike Question

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by solete, Nov 29, 2023.

1. solete

solete Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hey everyone.

I'm in the market for a new hunting bike and could use some advice. I've been researching various models, but the options are overwhelming. I primarily hunt in rugged terrains and need a bike that can handle rough trails and carry hunting gear efficiently.

What bike do you recommend for off-road hunting adventures? Are there specific features I should prioritize, like durability, storage capacity, or engine power?

Also, any brand suggestions based on your experiences would be greatly appreciated.

I look forward to hearing your insights and recommendations to make an informed decision.

2. solete

solete Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks in advance for any help

3. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've been debating buying one myself and have done quite a bit of research as well as asking some people I know who currently own them. I'm not sure where you're located and what type of terrain you're dealing with, but you do mention rough terrain, i'm assuming you also mean hills or steep terrain.

That being said. The overwhelming consensus is to buy a mid drive bike, not a wheel/hub drive. Also, if you deal with a lot of hills, etc, at least a 1000W motor. One of my friends, who I talk to quite a bit currently is using a Rambo bike and he does not recommend them. They aren't bad, but he feels his particular model isn't great on quality and feels its not enough bike for his needs. I believe its a 750W bike, but he's hunting the midwest and doesn't deal with a lot fo steep terrain, but he still feels its not enough bike for his needs, power wise.

If I were to get serious about buying right now, I am going to look at Hardcore ebikes and Recon. Hardcore actually has a 2000W bike, but it is hub driven from the rear.

Storage capacity I think is kind of limitless on all of them. It all depends what you decide to mount on them. But again, I imagine the more stuff you mount, etc, the more demand you're placing on the bike so power is an issue. 1000W motor or larger would be a big benefit. You can also buy a trailer for them if you want to use it to get your deer out of the woods.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2023
  4. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I would have to say you need to define “rough terrain”. If you’re talking about very rocky terrain then using a bike is going to be tough. I can handle mildly rocky terrain like here in the Missouri Ozarks and even here you need quick reflexes when a tire rolls sideways off a rock or a stick and pitches the bike sideways.

Also, in rough terrain you really need to look at a model that has good suspension.

I have a Bakcou Storm. It’s a 1000w mid-drive bike and it’s a beast. It has full suspension which is almost a must have in rough terrain, especially when you’re older.

The one I have has 26” wheels. Don’t get 26” wheels unless you’re 6 feet tall or taller. I’m exactly 6 feet tall and I have a little trouble getting on the bike when I have my gear on. Plus, you HAVE to be able to reach the ground with your feet while sitting.

I’m not pitching the Bakcou brand, but I was just looking at their website and I saw that they now offer an “on demand all wheel drive” model that has the mid-drive motor AND a hub motor on the front wheel. If that had been available when I bought mine I would have it. It would make the bike even better for carting a deer up a steep hill with the bike’s deer cart.

5. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Please post video driving a deer out in rough terrain after dark on a trailer behind a bike. Seriously it would be an interesting watch.

6. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    I haven’t done it in the dark, but I have done it. Doing it in the dark wouldn’t have been any more difficult with the hellubright headlight on the bike and my headlamp on my head.

I did have to stop three times to put the deer/cart back in its wheels after it fell over. Maybe that’s what you would like to see on video. :lol:

7. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Part of my interest is because anybody that is rigging a bike with a trailer to get into hunt is probably modifying or building their own components, and that and the navigation is interesting.

8. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    For navigation I just have a phone holder on my handlebars and I have OnX pulled up.

The cart I bought is a far cry from your normal cart. It has pneumatic fat tires and also has full suspension. It weighs around 20 pounds and can be collapsed flat to pack in if needed. It connects to the bike via a hitch that bolts onto the rear axle.

Of course, I bought this rig back when I had money and before the economy was gutted.

FEB and Sota like this.
  9. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    LittleChief likes this.
  10. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    These bikes are getting cooler and cooler and I'm really interested in owning one. Problem is, in the "great" state of PA, they won't allow them in State Gamelands. National and State Forest land, as well as private obviously, you can. I'm sort of waiting until PA goes full inclusion, but that could take years as fast as they move.

To add to Sota's comments, I certainly wouldn't consider riding the bike in rough terrain or hauling a deer on a cart behind it. Get the deer to where you can ride out on better trails or old logging roads, then go.

For me, a bike would shine here in the mountains. A lot of gamelands, etc, are bottom up access, requiring you to hike uphill, sometimes in steep stuff, for over a mile until you reach to the top of the mountain. If I could use a bike to get me to the top and then dump it and make my final approach to where i'm going to hunt on foot, it would save me a lot of time and sweating to death doing it.