Hunting alone or with someone?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by cml5895, Jul 11, 2018.

?

What's your preference?

1. Hunt alone

30 vote(s)
    63.8%
  2. Hunt with a partner or group

17 vote(s)
    36.2%
  1. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Same here. I would hunt with my Dad everyday if I could. He doesn't take the cold like he used to and he doesn't like staying until dark. With that being said, I hunt by myself all the time. Unless I travel out of State to hunt with a friend.

2. scarps23

scarps23 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I enjoy going out with someone at the same time, but hunting alone if that makes sense. Go in together. Walk different directions.

I’m too big of a control freak to handle other people when I’m hunting.

Elk hunting. I prefer to hunt with someone. Safety and for calling elk. Hunt with someone for a week. Better know them well before you go. Haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Hunter Bob

Hunter Bob Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Maybe it's because i have hunted alone the past couple of years but I miss sharing the experience with a friend. Hoping to do so again this year.

4. Lung Buster

Lung Buster Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt alone except for those rare occasions when my kids want to tag along! They are still pretty young so it’s hard for them to stay patient!

5. Kody Nehl

Kody Nehl Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hunting alone can be rewarding, but sharing memories with friends or family... priceless. I hunt with partners when I can

Sent from my SM-G892A using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

6. Hunter Bob

Hunter Bob Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    A neighbor of mine who is saying he is interested in learning how to bowhunt keeps bailing on me when it comes to scouting. So far he hasn't joined me once. Trying to decide if I will invite him to come with me and therefore give him intel on one of my spots. He is a marine, so I think I will cut him a little extra slack.

7. Kyle Sinclair-Smith

Kyle Sinclair-Smith Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Unless it's with my wife or my grandfather, I'd rather hunt along. I've had too many seasonal "buddies" that usually showed up around August 15th just in time for the opener on Sept 1st

8. buckhunter217

buckhunter217 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I prefer hunting alone. I do enjoy sharing stories tho.

9. Parker70

Parker70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I generally bow hunt alone, but during gun season I hunt with a large group.

10. CToutdoorsman

CToutdoorsman Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I have always wanted someone to hunt with me, but my dad does not like going in as far as I like to and my girlfriend is not 100% on a self-climbing treestand so for now I am alone.

11. drslyr

drslyr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a 30 yr. hunting partner that we share a camp in western NY with. We hunt separately together. On the cell if in service or radios. We kinda have the same style of hunting which works out great. In my younger days I hunted alone a lot. After a few surgeries and getting up there in age I'm kinda nervous about it. At our camp its kinda remote. Very little cell service. No power even on our dirt road. If you were alone and something happened to you you'd pretty much be coyote or bear food. My pal he had a momma bear come up his tree 2 yrs ago warning him not to mess with her 3 cubs. Said he was scared shi#$%^&#$@less.

About 20 yrs back I had a knuckle pop out of a summit viper climber detaching the bottom platform from the tree. I was hanging from the hand climber as long as I could 20ft up. Below me was all shale rock. I was wearing a safety harness and once I couldn't hold on any longer I pushed off the tree to keep from hitting it on the way down if the harness didn't hold. It held. I was freaking out dangling from the tree. I called him on the radio and he said he would get there as fast as he could. By the time he arrived I had rescued myself. The two pcs of the stand were tied together with a rope. I was able to grab the rope and reattach the base to the tree. What if the base had fallen to the ground. What if I had fallen to the ground. When your a kid you think your invincible. When your older not so much.

Swamp Stalker likes this.
  12. Western MA Hunter

Western MA Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    generally alone... occasionally with someone, but not too often.

13. djandy

djandy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    last hunting partner i had wanted to take a dump within eye sight of my deer stand.he said it don"t bother the deer. i argued till i was blue in the face.he said i kill deer all the time after peeing on the ground out of my stand.i said you most likely would have killed twice as many if you had not.

14. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Peeing doesn’t bother deer.

I don’t mind hunting with people as long as they are in their own stand. I’ll sometimes run camera behind someone though and don’t mind that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Nick Lewandowski

Nick Lewandowski Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I usually go to the stand alone. But I do take my older brother and my bestfriend along from time to time.

16. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I don't mind having a buddy with me hunting but the one guy I'd go with works the complete opposite days I do so it's tough to get together most of the time. But they need to be with me in my blind. I'll explain.....

I got burned the opening morning of turkey season this year cause another guy hunting on the property thought he'd move to a closer location to where the turkeys were coming in. It just happened to be 30 yards from my blind and he thought he'd get the drop on them before they got to me. All this after I told him earlier in the morning exactly what the birds would do and where they were gonna go. Well the birds are just gonna walk right up to you and let you shoot them in the face so naturally when they saw him and his buddy sitting under a tree, they went the opposite direction away from all of us. 15 minutes later I see him and his buddy walking to their vehicles and it was the best thing they could have done. About an hour later the birds came back and we got 2 nice jakes. Never saw him on the property again the rest of the season and I don't think they came back.

And mind you last fall's turkey season, this guy and I meet on the property and I had he and his son sit in my blind with me. I had to go to a dinner at some friends so I left and told them stay as long as they like. On the way to the truck I saw 2 nice toms about 500 yards up the road. Spent an hour and a half moving the toms to him and he shot one. First time his son had ever been hunting and they took home a beautiful bird for their Thanksgiving dinner. I went on to have dinner with friends and felt great about the day. Then backtrack to my previous paragraph. From now on through the rest of my hunting days, I'll be very choosy of who I hunt with.