Hss vs muddy ???

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by hidave, Sep 28, 2011.

1. ck3

ck3 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The HSS seat belt buckles have changed to a quieter latch system - I do agree they sucked and are the only source of noise I make. Just be sure to check because some places are selling the older one with the buckles (my buddy just bought one from ****s with the buckles and i had him retun it)

2. chickenmcnasty

chickenmcnasty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Picked up the ultralite for 80

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

3. rkloehn

rkloehn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    checked out the muddy harness for the first time tonight and here is my review. i now understand why they have the lightest harness out there, look and th equality of the harness look and the buckles that are "supposed" to hold you in. they are the flimsyiest garbage out there. i work construction and use REAL fall protection on a daily basis and there is no way in hell i would strap my self into a muddy harness. the leg strap buckles(whick are not even buckles) are junk. an average fall in a harness will generate about 5000lb of energy and the tiny little"buckles" are no way safe. i could not believe it when i saw them it was a flat out joke!!! if you showed that harness to any sort of a knowlegable safty instructor he would laugh at it. the starps are 3/4" tiny little straps that in know way are rated for a 250lb man falling. look at the hss ultra lite, buckles that are identicle to what comes on a SALA harness(a real safty harness) and the straps are 2" wide. so basically guys if you happy with a few ounce weight saving compared to your life have at the muddy. if you want a real safty harness that will save your life get the HSS ultra lite, spider, or gorilla harness(all of wich use real buckles and straps). good job MUDDY on producing a total POS harness!!!!!

4. Marauder

Marauder Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Don't hold back. Tell everyone what you really think. lol

5. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would hope its been thoroughly tested. After all it is certified. I don't believe a 250 lbs can generate 5000 pounds of tension assuming you are using the harness correctly. We're not sky diving here..... Max distance of the fall is the length of the tether. Less if you are sitting when the incident occurs.

6. stupid_rope

stupid_rope Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Believe it or not, 1" webbing isn't recommended for life saving in the fire service. 2" webbing is the standard and i wouldn't trust anything less.

also, 1" webbing can cut through flesh with enough force. is a treestand fall going to do it? i dont know for fact - but i would rather stick to what my 6+ years as an urban fire fighter has taught me.

7. shed

shed Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have had the old Dinosaur HSS vest...way to heavy ... I now have the new HSS ultra light.. 2 lbs.. Love it!

8. rkloehn

rkloehn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    do some research on fall protrection and you will see actually how stressfull a fall from a harness is!!!

9. rkloehn

rkloehn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    totally agree with this!! and i will stick with my 12 years in construction and my osha 30 cetification!!!

all i can say guys is this harness is not safe