Hss vs muddy ???

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by hidave, Sep 28, 2011.

1. soccerdan90

soccerdan90 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Why is he an idiot? He is just saying they are a little stiff for his liking. Calm down.

2. rkloehn

rkloehn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i am calm(thanks for your concern), its not stiff at all in fact extremely flexible. the idiot comment refers to thinking the straps are hard to adjust, they are so far from that its not even funny. i guess if your 80+ you might have a hard time!!

3. soccerdan90

soccerdan90 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Its called personal preference and if he thinks they are hard to adjust than to him they are. Im glad yours works great. To each their own.

4. hidave

hidave Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I think I'm going to get all of them and see what I like the best thanks for the input.

5. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Interested to hear your review after getting to compare them all side by side!

6. D34

D34 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm jumping in on the Muddy bandwagon. I've owned mine now for three years and love it. It's simple, easy to put on and light. As others have said, you don't realize you have it on.

7. rkloehn

rkloehn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i see that most guys posting on here are posting about the old HSS stuff that is big and bulky, the new HSS vest style are not much better but the new HSS ultra light is the cats azz!!! i would like to see the comparison between those 2 not the vest style HSS stuff

8. Finch

Finch Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm an idiot for sharing my opinion? Okay.

I did return the HSS harness and stuck with the Muddy. The Muddy just feels lighter (guess 7oz makes a difference) and just seems to be a better harness. I agree the bino straps need to have a bit more stretch. I'm thinking I may use my bino harness in conjunction with my safety harness. I can't stand having to orient my neck in an uncomfortable manner just to see thru my binos.

9. Vendetta

Vendetta Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I didn't care for the double chest strap on the muddy I tried on this week. I love my ultra-lite, but to each their own. I'll keep this one til the 5 years is up, at that point I may consider a different style/brand.

10. BEAR09

BEAR09 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I picked up the tree spider speed harness this year and the thing is awesome. I have nothing to say about the other harnesses but the tree spider is well worth a look. It is everything I was looking for in a harness. Best wishes to you.

11. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have the HSS and think it's nice but to big and hot for down here.
    Bought the spider and love it. Will probably sell the HSS if someone needs one. Only used it twice but don't think I'll even use it when it's cooler.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
  12. sycamoretwitch

sycamoretwitch Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Muddy

I haven't tried any other harness in my life as I am a first time bow hunter and this weekend was the first time I've ever used a climber tree stand. That said, the Muddy was so easy to use and comfortable that I sent Muddy a personal thank you. I usually don't go out of my way to do that. I was able to get up and down the tree with ease and I thought the harness might make that a little difficult, it just wasn't the case. I love the Muddy Harness!

13. rkloehn

rkloehn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    what model?

14. jjnowak

jjnowak Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I bought the Gorilla G15 and didn't like it all. I returned it and bought the Muddy. IMHO the Muddy is far superior for what I want out of a safety harness. The Gorilla felt clumsy, it was heavy, and the metal buckles were loud. The Muddy is extremely light and quiet. I was torn between the HSS and the Muddy. The Muddy won out based on price and more importantly because of the positive reviews in this thread.

15. Ben/PA

Ben/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Got 350+hours in a Muddy, played with the rest, staying with the best.

16. chickenmcnasty

chickenmcnasty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Glad to see this post. Been wondering about the pros and cons of each

17. chickenmcnasty

chickenmcnasty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Whats the difference in the hss types? Thee pro and bowhunter models are on sale now.

18. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The camo is the HSS, where it's been hanging pretty much since I bought it 2 years ago. The Muddy harness (got it last week) is on top because I'll actually wear it. As mentioned numerous times, you can hardly tell it's on.
    View attachment 10518

19. rkloehn

rkloehn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    the only hss you should look at is the ultra lite. it is comparable to the muddy

20. Marauder

Marauder Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The way I see in this thread is people arguing over 3 or 4 really good quality tree harnesses. IMHO, we shouldn't be arguing over such things. Unless we have a story about one failing, I don't think anyone can really give a bad review over one or the other. However everyone does have an opinion and a preference. Of course we do, we're bowhunters and individuals. If I started a thread on favorite quads people would pipe in and voice their opinions saying mine's better than yours.

Now on to my opinion. LOL. I own an HSS Treestalker harness. At first I did think it was heavy but however when I put it on I didn't notice it much. It was a decent price. It was very easy to adjust and put on. I do like the 2 pockets it has, (wish they had zippers, but I didn't get the pro series). Also I like that it came with a linemans harness. But what I did like most about my product was the company. HSS spent a lot of time ensuring you that you know how to use your new product and if you didn't they made the number readily availible. Knowing that the company was most concerned about their customers was the best part for me. I was very impressed with the knowledge that there is companies still out there not motivated by the almighty dollar.