Hoyt CS Cracking

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Bowhunter29, Dec 26, 2013.

1. Bowhunter29

Bowhunter29 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Has anyone else heard of cracking going on in the new carbon spyders? I have read online about the new spyders cracking in the riser and hoyt is claiming it is normal to have a 1/8" crack. Just wondering

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Normal ?! O.o
    Nothing about a "crack" seems normal now does it? lol

Hadn't heard anything about it before now, I haven't had any problems with my Element yet...maybe it's just the Spyders? I would think they would have to make it right while they are still under warranty if a person pushed it. The warranty does say "free from defects in craftsmanship" I believe.

3. Bowhunter29

Dislikes Received:
    Yes I was reading about a guy having cracking on his turbo. They said they will be replacing which is good but what scares me is they said its normal. Which no cracks should ever be normal especially in a $1400 bow.

4. Nick_P

Nick_P Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    They wouldnt make a bow that had cracking issues. The whole design behind the new riser is reinforced stress points over last years design. For all we know it could be his paint that has a couple splits in it and he could be calling it a cracked riser. Ive seen and heard some absolutely rediculous things from "other forums" one in particular... So we dont know whats truth and whats BS. Ive been around many carbon spyders, my own bow included, and have not seen anything, or heard about a anything. If it ws a real problem dealers would know about it, reps would be aware of it. And ive heard nothing. If it is truly an isolated case, hoyt will replace it and he can keep shooting. This remind me of when the rumor went around and people thought the helim risers bent easily when i fact it was user error with a bowpress. Could be a similiar situation?

5. Nick_P

Nick_P Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have over a thousand shots through my CS34, so anything that would have cracked would have probably done it by now. My bow is also flat black which shows any litte mark on the surface much more than camo. There is nothing on there. I wouldnt be concerned about it at all

6. Bowhunter29

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for your response which makes sense!!! Every one on Archery Talk started bashing on hoyt because of it and it got really annoying. I believe if anything it's just the paint.

7. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'd want to see a pic of the "crack" before I gave any advice. No pics?

8. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah...it seems there are a lot of anti-hoyt guys over there that get stirred up easily. I haven't seen their thread, don't go on there much. I expect it's blown out of proportion.

9. Sparkchaser

Sparkchaser Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  10. Sparkchaser

Dislikes Received:
    i would think that its safe to say this is a rare occurrence and your bow is fine as well as most everybody elses.

11. Sparkchaser

Dislikes Received:
  12. CoveyMaster

Dislikes Received:
    The warranty info only mentions small cracks to the finish as being acceptable, anything larger is said to be structural and if not caused by an impact or misuse...is considered warranty worthy.

My question before going off on Hoyt with a rant would be how common does this actually happen without a bow being dropped or abused. I've not heard of the problem on any kind of a "common" scale as of yet (not that I would).

All Mfg of every product have a few examples of flaws that show up once in a while, like a 1-3% rate. I wouldn't be concerned about it if it's within a normal margin. Of course anti-hoyt folks will take any chance available to bash Hoyt just like any anti-whatever brand person tends to do.

13. Sparkchaser

Dislikes Received:
    i would guess this rarely happens, every company has a hiccup now and then. it dosent mean that every carbon bow is condemned, it is just something to watch for so you can identify it before something more serious happens. look past the bashing folks they just want to trash talk and usually its the same thing everytime. there is a reason hoyt provides bows for the olympics and have such a big fan base. the simple fact is hoyt delivers when put on the spot as most companies do.

14. shanr

shanr Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Its a rare problem that they know exists or they would not have it in their owners

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

15. shanr

shanr Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Manuel. Sorry I hit the wrong button. Hoyt makes excellent bows and will continue to. However it is man made and will have a few that tend to crack

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

16. Ausbowhunter

Ausbowhunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    For those of you concerned about the new carbon spyders.. Here's a photo image.jpg of image.jpg image.jpg the riser of my two week old bow that has been treated wth nothing but the utmost care.. Not impressed at all, it literally went flying off in one big chunk. I've also got cracks and splintering on the opposite side of the riser as well.

I want my Mathews back

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg