How to scout this?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by jbm367, Sep 28, 2011.

1. jbm367

jbm367 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I own 77 acres and it was clear cut 12 years ago, its got trees big enough for hang on stands and ladder stands but not for a climber. There are a few logging roads but not many... Im afraid to just go barreling through there in search of sign. Any suggestions on how to scout a property like this?

2. KyleLewis

KyleLewis Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Prep yourself to be as scent free as possible. Wear rubber boots. Walk in there and follow those logging roads until you see some good sign. I'll bet they use those roads or ATLEAST cross them. Check for heavily used trails. Also look for their food supply. White oaks, leafy greens, chewed up new growth. That sort of stuff. I'd also scout for thick cover and edges in terrain. If their are hills I'd scout for trails that walk along them. They will most likely be a little higher than midway up. If you find mounds of droppings and alot of tracks. I consider setting up downwind of a spot with that kind of activity. ESPECIALLY if there are several rubs and scrapes in the close vicinity. To simplify it, look for their food and their cover. I wouldnt be to concerned with spooking them, as long as your not chasing them they'll come back. :lol:

3. KyleLewis

KyleLewis Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    OH BTW. You should print out an aerial map and a topo map. First I'd post them hear and youll get some really good advice. Second bring them with you and mark everything you find of interest.

4. Flooper888

Flooper888 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Best thing to do would be to find the places you think are "hot spots" (watering holes, game trails, etc) and try to sit at a few of them. Or you could put up cams too. Either would work. See where you get the best results. Once you've found a "hotspot" with activity, sit there for an afternoon and see what goes on. The best way to strategically scout out land is to constantly know what's going on. Consistency is key. If you want to have successful hunting you'll have to put in the time to scout everything out. Now who's to say you won't be sitting in a random place and have the buck of your dreams pop out all of a sudden, but the best chance of getting kills is to consistently sit in the spots you think are best. I've had friends sit in a spot every weekend for a whole season, barely see anything, then on the last day of the season kill a monster! Hope you have some luck! :tu: